1. the story

Maleficent doesn't know anything about love, or kindness, or the joy of helping others... You know, sometimes I don't think that she's really very happy. - Fauna, Sleeping Beauty

♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢

"Mother, please, just one more story?"

The little blonde girl wrapped a tiny hand around her mother's thumb, her grin nearly as bright as her eyes. The aging woman in the rocking chair felt her heart begin to melt. Who could say no to such an endearing face? "Alright, my flower. One more story."

"Thank you, thank you!" the child squealed, excitement bubbling in her chest. "What story are you going to tell?"

Madame Gothel pressed a spindly finger to her chin. "You know, that's quite a good question, Rapunzel. How about Peter Pan? You like that one, don't you?"

Rapunzel thrust her bottom lip into a pout. "I've heard that one a million times already!"

A gentle groan tripped over the woman's teeth. "What about Dumbo, the flying-"

"I want to hear a new story," Rapunzel protested. "One that I haven't heard before! Can't you tell me a new one, mother, please?"

"A new one?"

"A new one!"

The chair gave a cringe-worthy screech as Gothel leaned back, nose crinkled in thought. The woman liked to compare her mind to a hidden library, containing a vast collection of tales which she had collected over the course of her lifetime (which was rather lengthy, though this was a fact that she preferred to keep secret). But which of these stories would she share with Rapunzel?

After a few moments, a gentle smile surfaced on her lips. "I've got one."

Rapunzel giggled with enthusiasm, repositioning herself in her normal spot in front of the fireplace.

A grave air consumed the woman's expression. "Listen very carefully, Rapunzel, because the story that I am about to tell you is not only very true, but it is full of great peril."

Although Rapunzel didn't quite understand what the word "peril" meant, she nodded.

Once upon a time, in the kingdom of Elia, the capitol kingdom of the Disneyverse, there lived a nobleman named Killian Hook and his wife, a beautiful woman known as Ursula. Despite not having much in common, the two loved each other unconditionally and shared the same dream- to one day become royalty. Now, there was no possible way that this could happen, unless, of course, one of their four daughters married a prince or a king. Determined to turn their fantasy into reality, the couple took their children to countless balls and parties, praying that at least one of their girls would attract the attention of a handsome young royal.

Effie Hook was the eldest- and, arguably, the most beautiful- of the four girls. She was tall and lovely, with hair the color of midnight and a mesmerizing smile. Due to her stunning appearance and her good-natured personality, her parents were absolutely sure that she would be first of their children to marry into royalty. However, this isn't what Effie wanted for herself. Her biggest dream was to learn how to practice magic, just as her ancestors had, which her parents were opposed to. Still, Effie practiced in secret, living out her dream behind locked doors.

Meanwhile, the prince of the kingdom of Elia, a powerful sorcerer named Walter-

Rapunzel's brows crawled into her forehead. "You mean, Walt Disney? The sorcerer who created the Disneyverse?"