Chapter Two: Daddy

Chapter Two: Daddy

I slowly move away from the elevator, and begin to walk down the fairly long hallway. On the right of me, is a brick wall, painted a milk color with a blue sign saying 'Women's Ward C' in black bold ink. I grab onto my coat, pulling it tighter around my body. I continue to slowly walk down the long hallway, my heels clacking quietly against the white tiles.

It looks like a freaking hospital.

I walk past empty walls, and start seeing big metal doors on each wall, screaming coming down from the end of this long hallway, moaning, and a few groans coming out of someone’s mouth behind a few of these doors. I jump at an ear piercing scream, and Goosebumps’s slowly form on my arms as a cool chill runs through the area, making my spin shiver. I stay in the middle of the hallway, as I see hands sticking out of the bars on the doors. This place looks like a hospital/prison.

I look at the numbers on the doors as I walk past, seeing I'm only up to room 200. Fourteen more rooms down, and I'll be standing in front of the door my mother has been living in for the past eleven years. I can already imagine what she'd look like too, her beautiful soft curls being a shade lighter, grey hairs running through her chocolate hair, her skin pale, and dry, and her brown eyes, still the same, the same twinkle in it. I imagine she'd maybe have a few wrinkles here and there seeing that she'll be in her early fifties, she might. I also imagine, purple bags under her eyes, I'm sure she wouldn't be able to get much sleep here.

I walk past room thirteen, and turn around, to look at the opposite door. I look through the small square with bars, I begin to walk forward, my hand pressing against the cold door. The lady at the reception desk said she might be an activity, but my mother is right here. She's sitting on the edge of her bed, her legs pressed to her chest, and she's rocking back and forth. I hear her humming a song, an Italian song, and the same one she'd sing to me as a child, when I couldn't sleep. I'm surprised my mother is still able to sing as beautiful as what she use to. This song reminds me of all those nights, when I'd keep begging my mother to sing to me, and she sung that. It’s a shame I never actually found the name of it.

"Un gatto bianco con gli occhi blu, Un vecchio vaso sulla TV, Nell'aria il fumo delle candele
Due guance rosse, rosse come mele." She sung.

I don't know what it's saying exactly but I do remember how the word 'Mamma' was used in it. That's probably the only thing it says in that song that I actually know the meaning of. Mamma is not Mum, it's Mother. Just pointing that out. A small smile forms on my lips, I close my eyes, and imagine myself being nine years old again, standing in my room with my eyes shut, listening to her beautiful singing voice.

"Ma ma ma mother Maria ma." She sung.

I hear footsteps coming down the hall, getting closer and closer to me. I open up my eyes, to find a man dressed in white polo and white trousers, with shiny bold head, looking at me.

"You have a visitor badge, yes?" He asked, his voice is very deep, and he has a thick british accent. I nod my head. I grab the side of my coat, with the visitor badge pinned on it. I show the man, and he smiles. "Is this the patient you wanted to see? Mrs. Cathy Cassidy?"

"Yes." I said, my voice sounding dry.

The man grabs the keys from around his neck, and searches for a particular one out of the hundred that are on the key ring. He inserts a key into the door, twisting it open. The man gives me a smile, and tells me to lock it when I get out. I smile back at him, and take a step into the room, seeing my Mother still singing the song, when I walk in.