Dilly-Dally Distraction

Kale sat on my lap, watching Saturday morning cartoons with Haruhi holding tight to my right leg. It only took one day for these adorable children to attach themselves to me. Aunt Sam and Aunt Jill thought it was just the cutest thing ever. Vincent wasn't used to having to share me, it was entertaining to watch for the first few hours.

     Uncle Tom and Aunt Anne arrived two days ago with their daughter Kody. Kody was a quiet girl that kept mostly to herself. Sometimes she was seen with Jacob, going off to spend time with the horses.

     Today was the day the rest of the family arrived. Me'ma and Pa'pa we already nearly here.

     "Jasmine, honey, can you come help me with this for a second?" Aunt Sam called from the door.

     Without question or comment, Kale crawled off my lap and onto the sofa and Haruhi let go of my leg. I got up and walked over to Aunt Sam.

     She was a good looking woman with the same green eyes as James and Vincent with a man's style hair cut on her dirty-blonde locks. Aunt Sam was a few inches taller than me and preferred to wear jeans and t-shirts.

     She smiled at me as I approached. "I know you and Vincent don't get much time together, don't waste that time on my children. We can always visit when he's back at school," she spoke.

     I looked back at Kale and Haruhi for a moment. "It's no big deal. I like spending time with them. Vincent and I will find time together no matter what," I said.

     Aunt Sam raised her eyebrow and opened her mouth to speak again when an excited shout cut her off. We both looked down the hall toward the Main Stairs.

     Aunt Jill came out of one of the guest bedrooms, her black hair pulled into a ponytail. "I guess your parents are here, dear," she said to her wife. She poked her face in the room with her children. "Hey, kiddos, Me'ma and Pa'pa are here!"

     Haruhi and Kale jumped up and ran on their tiny, unstable legs to the Main Stairs before Aunt Jill and Aunt Sam caught up to them, preventing them from running down the stairs and, potentially, hurting themselves.

     Descending the steps, we were able to see all of the Andersen brothers, excluding Lucas and Vincent, were gathered near the front door, excitedly awaiting their turn to greet and hug their beloved grandparents. Kale and Haruhi had no patience for waiting their turn. They burst through the band of brothers and clung to each of their grandparents' leg.

     I stood toward the back of the small crowd, a few feet away from the closest person. I observed the people around me. Kody stood among her cousins, participating in minor conversations when they sprang up. Rebecca was there, too, clinging to Walter's side as though they were joined at the hip. She belonged there among the Andersens--with Walter.

     Just as Michael was wrapping his arms around Me'ma, the front door opened again. A tall broad shouldered man with dark skin and a shaved head came walking in followed by three teenagers of varying ages and a woman that could only have been born an Andersen. It was Aunt Vicky and Uncle Marcus.

     The excitement in the room escalated with the arrival of more family.

     The husband and wife instantly zeroed me out in the crowd. Uncle Marcus immediately broke into a smile and beckoned me closer.

     "Jasmine!" His voice was booming. "Jasmine Clark!" He threw a large arm around my shoulder and pulled me in for a crushing hug. "Welcome to the family, girl!"

     Uncle Marcus released me and I was instantly wrapped in another set of arms that I knew to belong to Aunt Vicky.

     They were a hugging kind of family. My first interactions with the other two families were slightly similar, just not this energetic.