Surprises All Around

I laid under the bed in my room, arms and legs spread wide, staring blankly at the box spring just inches from my head. I wasn't in a social mood since going out with Walter, Rebecca, and Zach to look at wedding and reception venues. Hiding was my best option. I couldn't hide in the hide-away tunnel to Vincent's room—if he decided to look for me there was a good chance he would go there.

    We went to four different venues today. They were all pretty snazzy. Way fancier than any place I had ever been to. Especially the third place where we ended up having lunch to see how the food would be for the reception.

    Ultimately, the third place was the venue Walter and Rebecca had decided on. The dressing rooms were large enough to accommodate the excessively large wedding party, but also so tastefully decorated with mirrors and vanities, with clothing racks—and not just a large room with some mirrors and lighting. Lunch was a filet mignon with a side of roasted asparagus and a baked potato. It was all so perfect. I wanted seconds immediately.

    The whole thing was a little surreal. The lunch table was set up to show what the reception dining might be like, complete with purple and blue embellishments in the linen and flower arrangements. Rebecca was even wearing a cute little white dress to add to the atmosphere of the whole event.

    So far, my hiding place was really working. My mother had already dropped by looking for me. I noticed she was a little nosy, too. Looking over my desk and the accompanying drawers. It was hard staying quiet as I listened to her rummage through my belongings.

    Zach came by, too. Probably to talk about how fast all the wedding planning was going. Which it was. We had our dresses, the venue, the colors, and the tuxedos. All we had left was finding someone to make the cake, decide on the flowers, find a DJ, and a photographer. And we still had months to go until the wedding.

    At some point, I was going to have to get up and make dinner. However, I couldn't think about anything but how I asked Vincent to stay home longer only to almost entirely shut him out. It was too confusing having him here. I didn't have enough room in my head for the two of them.

    Soon, Vincent would have to leave.

    "Jasmine?"

    Speak of the devil. Vincent's voice drifted to me from the direction of my bathroom.

    I could hear his footsteps moving closer.   

    "Jasmine?" he called again, approaching the bed.

    I just stared at his feet to my right, keeping silently still.

    Vincent crouched to look under the bed. Our eyes locked and, still, l I said nothing.

    The green eyed twin dropped to the floor and rolled to meet me under my bed. He didn't speak either, my silence taking the lead. Vincent snuggled up next to me, wrapping one arm around my abdomen.

    I furrowed my brow. The silence was eating at me.

    "How did you know I was under here?" I questioned.

    Vincent nuzzled up to my neck, a heavy sigh escaping his lips. "I know you, Jasmine. I know you're hiding from everyone. Your mom and me especially. I want you to know that I'm always here to listen—help make room in that head of yours. After all, two heads are better than one, sweetheart."

    It was hard not to smile at the pet name. It was an experiment we ventured into a couple weeks ago. Neither one of us had completely given up on the fun. It was definitely something I could get used to.