One New Message

Sam -- who was really Castiel -- was slammed into a chair and shackles were bound around his wrists and hands. Akuji stood before him while his henchman tied him up.

"Akuji, let's just talk," Castiel demanded as he strained against the steel chains. But no matter how hard he struggled, Sam's body prevented him the strength and ability he had In his previous vessel. "I know what's going on. You've been tricked."

Akuji trickled his fingers across the clothed table that seperated both of them. His red orbs became serpent-like slivers. "No one can decieve me. Not even you, Sam Winchester."

"Well, you have been. You know the power of The Seer. You know what he's capable of." Castiel watched the demon's eyes and, for a moment, he believed he had spoken reason into his head.

"The Seer is an ancient creature. No one really knows if he really exists, much less if he's real. You," Akuji pointed a finger at his new prisoner, "have been believing too many of your pathetic ancestors' stories. There's only two forms of faith, and they should never be relied in humans." Akuji smacked Castiel across the face, breaking the skin stretched over the cheekbone. "Now, how did you get here?"

"The Seer is real, and he's played you for a fool. Sam-- I never made a deal with the Devil. You can ask Lucifer himself."

"Lucifer is on hiatus, should I say. He won't hear from the likes of you."

Castiel shook his head slowly. "Why do all of you think you can win? In the end, you've wasted your time. You don't have the upperhand in this."

Akuji let out a roaring laugh and pounded the table with his fist. "You're so stupid to be talking this way. What are you even saying? You pathetic fool." Akuji walked over to the two candle sticks and lit them with ease by just breathing over the wicks. "Sam, why do you hunt us if you believe your God will take care of us?"

"Because we all have a mission. That was theirs-- I mean, mine."

Akuji stopped walking and looked at Castiel's disguised face more carefully. His head tilted side to side and he tried reading through this both familiar and strange face. But there was something in the way -- something was blocking him from seeing who he had really tied in the chair. "Who are you?"

"Your worse nightmare!" Castiel quoted in a menacing voice before breaking into laughter. He stomped a foot lightheartedly since he couldn't clap his hands. "Oh, nevermind; saw it on TV." Castiel quickly composed himself and tried to place his thoughts on more serious matters. "Since it seems you've forgotten, my name's Sam Winchester."

"How did you come to Hell, Sam? I know you weren't sent here--- you haven't died. And my demons haven't grabbed you. In fact, are you looking for your brother Dean?"

"Yes."

Akuji turned his attentions to a door some distance away from them, and shouted, "Jezebel! Bring our guest something to eat!" Snickering, the demon looked back at Castiel, "We have some food for you. No doubt you must be hungry."

The door opened and another demon with black eyes entered the room with a troubled expression.

"Where's the girl?"

"She's gone. And so is Winchester."

Akuji's entire body flared up into a burning corpse and he spun around, facing Castiel. The demon's face was lit with fire and his eyes burned bright like fresh blood. "Who are you?" The demon shrieked.

Castiel closed his eyes and tightened every muscle in his body. Like skin on a reptile, Sam's body sloughed off, leaving nothing but Sam's attire, and disappeared. The chains slipped off and Castiel stood to his feet. "My name is Castiel. Your one flaw was allowing humans into your domain; thinking they were weak enough to not last very long. But you forgot that they make perfect transportation."

The enraged demon lifted his head back and shot out a stream of fire from his mouth. The flames struck the ceiling and lined the entire walls. There was no chance Castiel could escape or teleport without knowing what was hidden in between the flames.

Standing in the midst of the fire, Castiel faced the demon with a slow-growing plan. He knew the only way out was to switch with another person. But there were no humans close by. At least, that he was aware of.

Akuji transformed into a hideous monster that stood on two scaly legs that were as rotund as barrels. His overall form was crossed between a Minotaur and a serpent's. The demon walked through his own wall of fire and stood in front of Castiel, laughing deep in his throat. "The battle is over, Castiel. Can't talk yourself out of this one."

Meanwhile, Sam had shed Castiel's skin on the shore and had his returned to him. It was a strange moment for Sam because he didn't even notice he had changed. It was as if he morphed into himself at a such a steady pace that not even a hair on his body felt the change. He did, however, had to dress himself again in Castiel's clothing that had fallen off during the transformation. As he pulled on the coat, Sam began worrying about Castiel's fate. He had assumed the angel would have returned to switch places, not do so while he was still in Hell.

Pushing the hair off his forehead and rolling up his sleeves, Sam started creeping to the edge of the lake, one step at a time. The closer he drew, the more his skin flaked and cracked. Sam's heart jumped and he quickly turned around and ran back to his original spot. Stumbling to a halt, he pressed his hand against his chest and tried to calm the pulsing beating against his fist. "Oh man, that's crazy." Sam laughed softly and fell into the sitting position. As he sat there, bored and frustrated, his phone beeped.

Sam looked down at his pocket and found Castiel's phone. Sam's brows bunched together and he stared at the mobile as it blinked. Remembering how impolite it was to answer someone else's phone, brought Sam's reaching hand back to his side. But also remembering his friend or brother could be in trouble, Sam snatched the phone in unabashed faith and flipped it open.

One new message: video included.

Sam downloaded the file and then opened it after its successful upload. The film was grainy and there were muffling, scratching, and gargling sounds. It was hard for Sam to even know what was going on, much less find a way to hold the phone so that the small screen served him the best viewing. At last, after tilting the screen at a diagonal, Sam could see a ceiling and a black suited figure walking to and fro. He also caught a glimpse of Castiel's chin and then a thumb covered the lens. The video turned off, leaving Sam with nothing new.

The way Castiel had filmed the scene was more like a dog filming it with the camera backwards in its mouth. But giving the angel the benefit of the doubt, Sam replayed the video over and over again, each time looking for something different. The first several reruns, he slowed it down to pick up on the conversation, but it was all one-sided; the voice of the suited man never made it to the audio strip. Castiel had only said two words, which were both 'no,' and there didn't seem to be anything in the background. Sam wished he had the Impala with him; it had every electronic device he needed. But most of all, he wished Dean was with him.

"Useless," Sam groaned as he started to flip the phone shut before another message came through. Sam thumbed the phone open and stared at the screen.

Step out on the water and finish your deal.

Sam's throat tightened and the slap of the phone rung in his ears. Clenching it shut in his fists, he waited for a moment, asking himself if what he had read was true. How did this thing reach him on Castiel's phone? Hadn't Castiel said it was demon-virus free? Then again, Castiel said a lot of things in hopes to make the brothers believe he was compatible in both the spiritual and human realm. Rising to his feet, Sam stared out at the grey waters. They were so still it looked as if it was concrete. Taking in a full breath, Sam walked forward, knowing that if he stopped once in doubt, something, or someone, would punish him.