announcement

"Can I post this?"

Luke made a face. "No, I look disgusting."

"You look beautiful," I argued. "And I wasn't talking about the picture. I was talking about the caption under it."

"I guess the caption's okay. But please use a different picture. I look too..."

"Happy?" I suggested.

"Exactly. How am I supposed to keep up my angsty teen image when a photo like that exists?"

"You are the exact opposite of angst," I informed him. "You're, like, a slightly evil butterfly."

"I hate how accurate that is."

"Okay, but I'm serious." I ran a hand through my hair. "Is it okay for me to post this? Because I really want to, but only with your permission."

Luke sighed. "Yeah. It's okay."

One click later, the replies to my 'coming out post' started flooding in.

"We did it." I said. "We came out."

"I'm so proud of you," Luke told me.

"I'm proud of us."

"It really is a nice picture," he admitted.

In it, our eyes were both squeezed shut, and we had grins on our faces. I didn't remember what we were laughing about, but I remembered wanting to preserve that moment so much that I had to take a picture of us.

"Yeah," I said. "It is."

***

Hi. If you don't know me, my name is Cameron Macias. I'm gay.

Let me introduce you to my boyfriend. This is Luke. I love him a lot. Don't harass him, and don't request to follow him on any social media. Don't pry into our relationship, even though I might talk about him way too much.

I'll open up my direct messages if you want to ask me any questions about coming out, even though I don't have much experience with it. I'll try to respond to as many of you as possible.

Thank you for all of your support.

-Cameron.

***

@annaleeslater
Replying to @therealcameronm

Hey, I'm gay too, in case you couldn't tell. I guess my picture with the girl was a lot less in-your-face than Cameron's. Just here to say that I'm so proud of my friend for coming out and that I'm also free to talk to anyone about this subject.

Also, I'm rebranding. From now on, my public social media accounts will be strictly gay memes. If that's not your thing, unfollow me now. I'm so done with faking heterosexuality.

Okay, I'm kidding. Mostly. Do what you want with your life. Love who you want. I know I'll start doing that now.

xo, Anna Lee