quatre vingt douze

GOLDEN DAYS─CHAPTER NINETY TWO

━━━━

          Alyona stared at her phone blankly and abstractedly stirred her finger on the surface of her cup of coffee, the sound of the ticking clock saturating the uptight serenity inside Lemkova's office

          Alyona stared at her phone blankly and abstractedly stirred her finger on the surface of her cup of coffee, the sound of the ticking clock saturating the uptight serenity inside Lemkova's office. Her mouth was sealed shut and sometimes a stray tear unconsciously fell out of her eye – this kind of situation was the thing she most feared. She had alienated herself since the article was published online and all her secrets have been uncovered. Every incoming call was rejected by her purposely, even from her father. She wasn't ready to face it all, but she knew she had to.

          With a brief nod, they left the office and headed to Lemkova's car. She had promised Alyona to drive her somewhere – apparently the place that made her feeling more restless. Alyona knew that one of them had told Froy about it, and right now he desperately wished for an explanation from her. Alyona certainly couldn't lie anymore, though she hoped she could because she literally couldn't see his face grasping the expression of disillusion and fury.

          The empyrean above looked metaphorically sad, enough to acknowledge that Alyona was coalescing with the horizon's sentiment tonight. She convinced herself multiple times that this was the right move to make up for her mistakes. If only she was honest about her condition three years ago, everything would not be as complicated as today – she literally didn't need to break someone's heart because of her pathetic fate. That's why she decided to wind up all the falsehood she built for Froy and the public. She willingly risked everything on the line for the people she loved.

          Because it was the last thing she could do to say the least.

          And yes, it was Alyona herself who exposed everything. Earlier this morning she asked her assistant to give a statement to E! so that they could publish the article by including all her personal pictures all this time as the proof. Surprised, wasn't it? Alyona chose this way because she would never be ready to allege it to everyone, especially Froy. Indeed it was the way a poltroon did, but for some reason, this time, Alyona was okay with it.

          When the car came to a stop, Alyona grew more nervous as she balled her hands into fists. Lemkova noticed it and she immediately placed both of her hands on top of hers, throwing her a weak smile as if to say that everything would be all right. However, they both knew that it would never be okay anymore. Exhaling a deep shaky breath, Alyona got out of the car and made her way to the front door. Once Alyona stood in front of the door, she pressed her finger to the doorbell. Two minutes felt like eternity before the door opened to luckily reveal himself in front of her.

          Froy's face instantly fell when he saw her. His expression was visibly controlled by relief, frustration, despair and a slight of betrayal. How could he not? Alyona literally ignored him all day, even disappearing without word and after that coupled with the circulation of articles stating that she was actually dying. How could he take it calmly? How could he fall asleep remembering the girl he loved hiding her dying condition every second? He was undeniably hurt, but he knew compared to the pain and the pressure she felt, it was all nothing.

          "I know you already find out everything," Alyona started quietly, a small smile gracing her pale lips. "And I'm here to make sure you're okay."

          This was the girl he admired and obsessed with for the last few months. He exerted all his effort to make her happy, but still, he was fooled by all her fake smiles and the healthy condition she showed all this time. He should have known better – he should have paid attention to her more than he usually did.

          Froy sighed, averting his gaze away. "Why didn't you tell me?"

          "Because you don't deserve the pain I will put on your shoulders soon enough." Alyona admitted as her voice cracked in each word, a hand reaching to caress his cheek. "You know I care a lot about you, and seeing you get hurt is the last thing I want to see."

          Froy shook his head and bowed his head down, his hand automatically resting on top of hers as he held back the tears from falling. "What should – What can I do to help you?"

          "Don't grieve for me." Alyona stated, holding his face in her hands as she brought it back up gently. "Find someone better who will always be by your side until your hair turns gray. Promise me that."

          In an instant, a stray tear found its way out of his eye. "I – I can't."

          "Yes, you can, Froy. You should be able to – because tomorrow everything will change." Alyona reasoned, her voice sounding steady but fragile at the same time. "It's going to be just the same as before I came into your life." Froy couldn't find his voice to reply her words. Alyona made it sound so easy when in fact, she was actually crushed inside. She knew she had to go soon because if she stayed here any longer, he would only be more devastated than this to see her condition that had reached the end of the chapter. So, Alyona immediately reached a small envelope from her bag and placed it in his hand. "Open it when I'm no longer here."

          Froy looked at her with teary eyes and without word, Alyona brought her lips to his. The kiss almost urgently, but still grasped millions of unspoken things. And in that moment, Alyona was absolutely despiteful of herself. Because she allowed herself to feel love when in fact, the monition about it had been clearly presented to her since three years ago. And now, she reluctantly needed to leave him with scars that would be absolutely hard to heal.

          With one last smile, Alyona turned on her heels and left his place, never once looking back at him. And once she was in the car, Lemkova instantly drove away from Froy's place along with sobs coming out of the girl's mouth loudly. Even now despite the erratic season, somehow the universe could also feel her pain as it eventually unleashed its tears to the ground. And the moment Alyona abruptly stopped sobbing and instead complained how exhausted she was today, Lemkova knew it was her time to rest.

          The doctor kept focusing herself on the road despite the crucial situation and swiftly grabbed her phone, calling the first number she could think of. Once someone answered her call, Lemkova found herself half exclaiming to the phone. "Glenn. . .Lona took a turn for the worse."

━━━━

AUTHOR'S NOTE; seven more chapters😭