CHAPTER-3 Clandestine

Jake stared at the figure lying in front of him. He still remembered his brother- Nick, so bright- so happy. He had been young, very young to......... 

He had even managed to fall in love. He would have been married happily but he had been murdered an year ago thanks to.......................................

'Never mind', Jake thought trying to block the pain. He was going to get even.

'And someone is going to get hurt for sure'

Jake stared at the unconscious figure in front of him, crumpled in a heap. He still remembered that dark night that had changed everything.........everything.

Jake had been pursuing graduation, thanks to his elder brother- Nick. With parents who had died ages ago, Jake & Nick had been each other's support, each other's family.

For Jake, Nick was both his mother & father, his best friend- a confidante, everything. 

But here comes the catch.

Jake knew Nick was a small time gangster- a criminal, as people said with disgust but he had to do something to support Jake & himself. He wasn't a 'mastermind'. You could call him 'petty' because Nick did not have the heart to cause mass damage, to anyone & then relish the carnage. He wasn't a sadist. He was just pushed into this work.

It was thanks to him that Jake was pursuing his graduation- a life he hadn't thought was possible.

He, however, had known about his elder brother's profession. Even though he disapproved of it & feared for his life, he never said so because he didn't want to make it hard for Nick then it already was. 

Silence is Golden.

Jake respected him & understood why he was doing it.

Nick never, ever let Jake near his professional life. He never discussed his work with him, never involved him in anything related to his 'profession'.

But that DAY , something had happened.

And Jake had later got to know exactly what.

And that had become the driving force of his life.

That night was something Jake could never forget. He still remembered , his thoughts drifting to that night.

*—-FLASHBACK—-*

Jake was at home & sleeping over his books, trying to study for a Trig test.

And then came the Call.

"Hello", Jake said sleepily,

"Jake! Bro! Something's not right! Something is............... I don't know but something is fishy", Nick's voice was panicky. His voice shook. Slight fear eminent in his words.

Jake was stunned. His brother, AT WORK, but still calling him. This was so ...new.....& so ODD. Jake looked at the digital clock on his table. It was past mid-night.

But Jake never used to ask Nick where he went or what he did whenever he came late or was gone the whole night. He already knew he was at work doing whatever he had to do. But he had NEVER called. It was a mutual pact between the two of them, an unspoken deal that had been signed by them & was never broken until TODAY!!

Jake was now on full alert, all sleepiness gone.

"Bro! Where are you? What's happening?", Jake questioned & then added hesitantly , " Is it the cops?"

They never ever talked about this stuff even though both knew it & felt it.

"No! NO! But I ..........something is wrong. I don't understand. The group I work for hired me to do this job. They sent me her but there's no one here", Nick explained, still panicky.