Chapter 59: Oops, I'm Not Wearing A Bra

[A/N: Dedication to EmilieKath because she's seriously - like seriousssssllyyy - awesome and made me smile (when I say smile, I mean slobber all over my keyboard and grin like a dog on rabies) while I was writing this chapter. Songs for this chapter:
- One Republic // I Lived
- Ellie Goulding // Beating Heart
- Fall Out Boy // My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark
- Taylor Swift // Long Live]

"Holy crap," Mona breathed, clamping a hand over her mouth as the entire crowd edged forward in the seats. "They're gonna score!"

We were perched on our usual top spot on the bleachers, watching the soccer match with jittery nerves because if we lost this game we were out of the state championship. Riverdale had already lost their previous game because much to everybody's dismay, Coach refused to let Tyler leave the bench. Oh well, everybody knew the loss was because of his stupid to decision to leave our star striker out of the game.

However, this loss would end Riverdale High's soccer season and that couldn't happen - not when Tyler hadn't even played one game yet! And judging by the state of our players today, we were definitely going to lose at this rate. Coach Webber had benched him again and I could just about make out his golden hair amidst the other second strings.

What I failed to understand was why he wasn't playing? What kind of stupidity had thickened Coach Webber's pea sized brain?

"This is bad, real bad," Mona held her breath. "Ash! Look!"

I snapped out of my raging thoughts, tearing my eyes away from Tyler and following Eastview High's striker as he wove past our two defenders and hurtled the ball towards our goalkeeper. Our goalie jumped and I felt bad for Simon when the ball grazed his fingers and slammed into the back of the net. A deep groan filled the soccer pitch as the crowd screamed abuse at our team, urging them to step their game up and quit slacking.

"Shit!" I hissed as the other team celebrated their leading goal by throwing themselves at the ginger striker who scored.

Mona's entire face darkened as we watched Dylan stomp over to Blake, yelling at her boyfriend for failing to prevent Eastview's breakthrough. Now the scores were two to one and we were losing.

Ten minutes flew by and Riverdale failed to make up for the goal, struggling to keep tabs on the scurrying opponents who were fast, agile and surprising intelligent. Eastview knew that our defence was an abomination. We had two players manning our goalkeeper and four strikers who were failing to score. Our formation was weak and crumbling, letting the green shirts sieve through our red shirts like water: slick and swift. Coach Webber's roars could be heard from the sideline when the ginger striker got possession of the ball again.

Suddenly it was happening all too fast.

Dylan was hot on the ginger's trail, pumping power through his thighs as he intercepted the pass and kicked the ball wide. A sigh of relief swept through the crowd until another green shirt tackled him and I was certain Dylan's strangled cry echoed for miles and miles.

Crack.

A tangle of legs remained of the two player but the red shirt seemed to be pounding on the floor, roaring with agony as the green shirt slid off him and clambered to his feet. His tanned skin paled at the horror that lay before him and he retched, backing away as other players turned their attention to Dylan. His left leg was bent backward at the knee, forming a right angle that made numerous fans scream. Others jerked their head to side and gagged. The rest of us, including myself, shuddered and looked straight ahead, unable to turn away from the horror.

Mona screamed a great deal. By the time she clamped her mouth shut my ears were ringing.

"Oh my god that's disgusting. I can't breathe! Ash, ash, ash, I can't look!"