Chapter 14: Damn That Burn! Where's The Ice?

[A/N: Songs for the chapter:
- Taylor Swift // I Almost Do
- Charli XCX // Boom Clap]

The aroma of warm, mouthwatering cakes wafted around the classroom as I scraped a chair from one of the vacant desks surrounding Tyler's table and plopped down beside him. Neither of us felt like baking during our short period today so we just explained to Ms Smith that we would spend the next forty minutes planning for the upcoming lessons this week and she reluctantly agreed that it was fine.

Only now, Tyler's head was planted face first into the pine desk and his chest rose and fell softly. A soft snore came from him and the rush of air from each snore blew his hair from his eyes before the gold strands flopped back down. Rolling my eyes at him as he shifted to make himself more comfortable, I took out a notepad and flicked through one of the many cookbooks scattered around the class and searched through the dessert section.

So far, we had baked a banana cake, chocolate ripple cake, sour cream cake and a victoria sponge cake but they were quite bland compared to what the other groups were conjuring up. They were going crazy with their layout, attempting towering cakes and one group even made a wedding cake! It's not like it was a competition but it sure felt like that when each group surreptitiously peered over their shoulders to see what the other pairs were up to.

I glanced up, scanning the classroom effectively. I could see Mona and Blake arguing as she dunked a finger into their mixing bowl and popped it into her mouth making him smack her hand and turn his back to her. She only retaliated by darting around him and sneaking another finger in. Except this time Blake was prepared and bit her finger, making her scream at him. Chuckling quietly at the pair, I watched other groups bicker loudly whilst the rest just worked in silence.

Turning back to my partner, I took in his new position and tried to bite back my smile. He face me with his head to the side, a handful of gleaming gold hair flopped over his forehead and brushed over his eyes. From my position, I could just about make out the light dust of freckles that were splattered over his nose but what captured my attention was the serenity of his face. It was devoid of any expression and I couldn't remember the last time I had seen him like that.

Slowly, his lips twitched and my gaze zeroed onto them. I'd never acknowledged how rosy they were. They were slightly chapped right now but I couldn't wrap my head around how fleshy and plump they were in contrast to his smooth unblemished skin.

"I know you're staring at me," He flung one eye open and a sea of amusement met mine.

I gasped in surprise and leaned back in my seat as he pulled himself into a sitting position and yawned.

"I w-wasn't staring!"

Tyler arched an eyebrow, raking a hand through his hair although the golden strands flopped back all over the place.

"Keep telling yourself that."

"Whatever!" I grumbled at the level of sarcasm oozing from voice.

I wasn't staring, I thought to myself. I was merely observing.

I don't know why I was trying to reassure myself when I'd already been caught in the act. In an attempt to justify my actions, I told myself that there was nothing wrong with making a harmless observation. It's not my fault his face was right there in front of me. Where else was I supposed to look?

Glaring at him when he rolled his eyes in response, I flicked through several glossy pages before settling on a mouthwatering image a chocolate glazed carrot cake. It was lightly dusted with flour like a thin layer of frost on a cold winter's morning.

"How about this?"

Glancing at the page, his gaze flickered at the photograph and then back to me with a deadpan expression.