Chapter 4.1: Back To Normal

IANNE’S POV

Two weeks later…

I was in the kitchen, busy preparing snacks for the three boys. Nag-timpla ako ng orange juice para sa kanila. Naglagay rin ako sa isang bowl ng chips at biscuits. Para healthy at the same time, gumawa ako ng salad sandwich for Tribal.

From where I’m currently working, if I look at my back, makikita ko ang living room kung saan abalang maglaro ng X-box sina Tribal at Xave. Surprisingly, si Xave lang ang maingay ngayon habang nag-lalaro sila… Tribal is silent, though I can see in his eyes that he’s enjoying. If I look at the front, outside the glass window, I can see Bench sitting at the back porch. He’s busy with something.

Naglakad na ako papuntang living room para ibigay kina Tribal at Xave ang snacks nila. The game they’re playing is finished, kaya sakto ang dating ko dahil gutom na daw sila. I served the food that I made for them. While looking at Tribal who’s silently eating the salad sandwich I made, I cannot help to feel bothered and sick worried… even though they said I have nothing to worry, as a mom, hindi pwedeng hindi ako mag-aalala…

“So… what’s happening with him? Is he going to be okay?” nandito kami ngayon sa office ni Dr. Reyes, Tribal’s doctor. Beside me is Xave.

“Right now, the patient is experiencing Post- traumatic Stress disorder.” Nung sinabi niya iyon, kahit na hindi ako nag-aral ng medicine, alam kong na-trauma sa aksidente si Tribal. He’s not okay!! I clenched my fist, ready to go crazy when Xave hold my hand… I looked at him and he gave me a comforting smile. That smile…

“Dr. Reyes, please explain this more to us. What about Tribal not remembering that he was in an accident?” Xave said to Dr. Reyes. I was still looking at him. He was always the calmer and more composed between the two of us… I was actually thankful dahil kasama ko sya ngayon… I’m not sure if I can handle all this alone.

“Well, emotional trauma can have a direct effect on a person’s memory. You see, if a person is afraid or was deeply terrified, the fear kind of triggers changes in our brain and body to defend us. Memory loss is a way to cope up with trauma. The patient cannot handle his fear and so he suppressed his memory of the traumatic event.” Dr. Reyes explained to us. I understand now, it’s more like a defense mechanism… Tribal doesn’t want to remember so he forgot about it.

“What are the other effects of this Post-traumatic stress disorder?” Xave asked. I can see him listing all his questions and recording the answers in his mind. He’s amazing. He was always smart. He always knows what to do.

“I cannot say for sure in behalf of your son, but patients that are experiencing this post-traumatic disorder are usually experiencing some changes after the accident.” Dr. Reyes started.