IV

The one thing that irritates me about being the Arch-Mage is that the female Apprentices are always fighting to help you with something and the males all seemed to watch my every movement and then sigh, even the fifty year olds. It's rather disturbing to be honest.

   Everyone went silent as I stepped on to the podium. It wasn't much, just a round slab of shaped stone with a wooden stand on it. It was the outdoor teaching area with six benches sitting in front of it for the Apprentices. People were gathered all around and on the pavement above me, even the Associates who usually weren't allowed to enter the University.

   All eyes were on me as I began my speech. I used to have terrible panic attacks before speaking allowed but I had grown more accustomed to my role as head of the guild and my confidence was shining through today. "Mages of Cyrodiil, we have gathered here today to discuss an extremely important and possibly vital matter which may affect everyone on Nirn. Raminus has informed me of a strange band of readings and activity, provided by Bothiel, possibly arising from the realm we thought had been sealed off forever by the great Akatosh and his servant, Martin Septim. We believe they have come from… Oblivion."

   Intakes of breath and murmurs rippled through the sea of mages and I was forced to raise my voice a little to get their attention. "This revelation has disturbed the Council of Mages a great deal, so much so that we will be bringing the matter to the attention of High Chancellor Ocoto and the Elder Council. The reasons for this disturbance are a complete unknown, defying the logic and history that we now know; all we have are a numerous amount of theories as to why this is happening. Due to this incident, all studies are to be dropped immediately and each and every one of you is going to work to find out how and why this strange series of events is now unfolding. Now get to it!"

   The mages instantly began grouping up and scholars were leading a few of the groups and were discussing tactics and techniques they would use to help find a solution to this worrying problem. I stepped down from the podium with my Arch-Mage's robe trailing a little on the upright. My walk towards the Council was interrupted when I spotted a mage leaning up against the wall.

   And I couldn't tear my eyes away.

   He was beautiful; not handsome like other men, literally beautiful. His hair wasn't merely blonde, it was gold; his eyes not blue, but sapphire. He was well-built with sharp features that made his face seem god-like. It was if his body was not satisfied in its mortal state and was adopting a new form. He had a pained expression on his perfect face and it made him seem even more beautiful.

   His aura was gorgeously tempting but I thought it unwise to cause Raminus any reason to be concerned for my well-being and so with a sigh of longing, I turned my back on him with more than a little difficulty and wandered lazily towards the Council, who were already arguing. As per usual.

   "This requires a lot of Mysticism to decipher, "Boderi Farano, the Mysticism teacher at the University was saying, "something we aren't as skilled in as the other arcane arts."

   "Even if we were able to use Mysticism magic at a higher level, we wouldn't have enough Magicka to prevent Oblivion from burning through if it came to it, even with the entire guild on hand," Elitlaya Nethrend argued. I could see her face light up with pleased smugness as I nodded in agreement.

   "We need more evidence to be completely that we are dealing with Oblivion here," Bothiel interrupted. "I can't put my hand on my heart and swear it's the Daedra. It's just a theory."

   "Everything that comes from you is a theory," Tar-Meena muttered angrily.

   "What was that, fish-woman?" Bothiel snapped, earning a narrowed glare from the Argonian.