III

"Welcome back, Arch-Mage," Raminus said politely.

   "You know, you really shouldn't break into someone's house, even if you are acquainted with them, Master-Wizard. Most people consider that trespassing and the vast majority of people agree it is punishable by imprisonment."

   "I was wondering why I was not receiving to my letters. It appeared as if you were abandoning the guild, therefore I deemed it my duty to investigate the situation on the behalf of the Council. Oh, I set all of the letters on the table over there."

   "Well, for your information, I was out stocking all of Cyrodiil with food; which was also needed by the Council to maintain the health of the mages that it houses."

   "That does not mean you can neglect your duties as Arch-Mage."

   I stared at him, gobsmacked being the understatement of the era - albeit which was only three years old. I'd taken a no-nonsense approach to the various irritating habits of Raminus Polus, of which this was amongst them, but he had just pushed the last quota of patience out of my body. "Well, excuse my inadequacies Master-Wizard, as you seem to suggest that you have taken great offence to them," I responded wearily yet placing enough sarcasm in my words to create effect, pulling my perfectly crafted gauntlets off my chapped hands. "I'm sorry for not being at home to deal with issues of obvious importance to try and prevent the death toll from rising. However, I'm sure you are unaware of what number currently stands on as you remain safe and well-fed in your University chambers."

   "I am very much aware of the number, Arch_mage, but I'm not just referring to the past month," Raminus replied, calm as ever. "This seems to be a recurring problem. You never seem to come to the Arcane University anymore. The students are beginning to lose faith in your capability as both a mage and as a leader."

   "Well, what do you expect?" I demanded, his words grating me. "I'm the Arch-Mage, the Fighters' Guild Master, the Arena Grand Champion and the Champion of Cyrodiil. I don't have the time to be everywhere at once!"

   "Please, I didn't mean to upset you." Raminus got to his feet, trying to make up for his disrespect, but without much deference in his words. "If I may, there is a pressing matter that we need to discuss."

   I lazily pulled off my boots, which were coated with dirt, grass and scratch marks, the insides soaked with icy water and sweat. "Can't it wait 'til tomorrow? I need some sleep."

   "Arch-Mage, I think we need to get something straight," Raminus said, narrowing his eyes at me, "you are the youngest individual to take up the position of Arch-Mage, a post granted to you by the Council itself in the absence of our previous Arch-Mage; which makes it even more important that you make regular appearances at the Arcane University or that you at least partake in important matters with written communications at least."

   "And?"

   "If you don't get involved with everyone at the guild, some of the Council members may lose hope or attempt to get you removed from your post. They do have that kind of power."

   "May I remind you, Raminus, that I am the head of the guild, which the previous Arch-Mage, the late Hannibal Traven informed you would be the post I would undertake after his regrettable but foreshadowed passing, which grants me more power than you might wish for me to hold." There was no need for him to tell me these things; I already knew that some of the Council of Mages were against my tactics and rules for running the guild. It had never bothered me before. I always had the reassurance of being the guild's saviour for defeating Mannimarco, which made me a hero and left the guild forever indebted to me, whether I desired it or not. I certainly was not going to let it bother me now. "Just get to the point."