II

I dragged my prize across the ground towards main road where the now piled high food carts were waiting for my return. I'd already given Skingrad, Bravil, Anvil, Bruma, Cheydinhal, Leyawiin and the Imperial City their fair shares and was taking Chorrol's lot back myself, seeing as I was staying there for the moment. Yawning, my eyes felt instantly heavier and I planned on getting some well-deserved rest after my month long skirmish.

   Stepping out into the glaring winter sun, I blinked hard and squinted as the guards relieved me of the dead carcass. They didn't bother with any conversation; they all knew how snappy I would be.

   I climbed wearily on to my mare and kicked her to life. Her coat was filthy and she was exhausted but there wasn't far to go. I let my eyes droop close and drifted into a light sleep.

   A shiver woke me from my sleep and I slide off Trinití delicately and winced as my frozen toes hit the ground too quickly. I heard a number of the younger guards pulling their helmets off and a number of sighs. It had been a long month; especially for myself, as I had done most of the hunting.

   The crowds cheered with enough vigour to defeat an army after a victory when the carts were pulled slowly through the gates of Chorrol but my head was already pounding like a drum so I slipped off between the throngs of people running towards the much needed food with bags of gold in their hands.

   The vicinity around the Great Oak was clear of people as I trudged towards Aborwatch, my home. As I was about to push the key into the lock, a call interrupted me and I turned to find Kurz gro-Baroth shouting at me from the door of the Fighters' Guild. I groaned lightly as I passed under the sign and the giant Orc gave a slightly sympathetic look. "I know, Master, and I'm sorry," he said gruffly but not unkindly, "but Modryn needs to see you immediately."

   I nodded, too tired to reply. As I reached the bottom of the first flight of stairs, the porter ran up beside me and I heard Modryn giving orders upstairs. I groaned again, hoping the porter would leave me be but he stood firm and I stormed furiously with him tailing me like a dog.

   When I reach the top of the stairs, Modryn had descended the second set and was waiting for me. "This better be good, Modryn," I said, grumpily. "I haven't slept in weeks and I'm not afraid to set a Dremora on you."

   My second-in-command simply laughed, unphased. Everyone in the guild knew my threats never amounted to much so they'd become a long running joke. "Same as ever, Master," he replied in his husky tone. "It's another group of new hopefuls come to face your wrath."

   I walked ahead of him to the stairs that led to my less than private office but not before pulling a face which caused him to laugh again. Sometimes I felt like roasting Modryn Oreyn alive and he had a special way of bringing out the irritated side of me but if he wasn't around, I would most definitely miss him taunting me.

   I deliberately took my time climbing the stairs. My armour felt heavy against my cracked skin and my hair was limp from lack of washing. I knew I looked a sorry excuse for the Fighters' Guild Master but with my exhaustion and irritation mounting up, I was certainly acting like one.

   Eight armour-clad warriors were lined up along the right hand side of the office, all waiting patiently for an introduction. It had been my orders to recruit more men this month but at this moment in time, I wasn't particularly in the mood. However, I understood the extent of their quietness representing their extreme nervousness and felt it would be wrong to frighten them in any way so I tried my hardest.

   "Welcome to the Fighters' Guild headquarters. I am the Master here, Laétira. I would ask that you tell me your names, which guild hall you were sent here from and the reason why you are interested in joining the Fighters' Guild."

   The effect of them shaking in their boots before beginning caused my knees to tremble slightly and determined not to seem weakened from my travels, I gradually edged my way over to my chair and made it seem as if I was taking a proper interview by lowering myself slowly into it. I was most impressed by the Orc's tactics to hide her anxiousness. She had a frown furrowed into her forehead and refrained from losing eye contact with me for the entire duration of the talk. She was well-built and I could see her determination in her eyes. I instantly knew that I would be sending her to Burz gro-Khash.

   With her, there were two male Khajiits, a female Argonian, two Redguards, one male and one female and a female Dunmer. They all spoke confidently but I could see the fear of rejection in their eyes, especially in the Argonian's. She seemed desperate to be accepted and I wondered if there was more to her past than just being orphaned at a young age while still living in Black Marsh.

   The Dark Elf finished her story and they all fell into silence. I picked up the parchment I had been scribbling key words and possible towns for them to go to. As stood up, there was an intake of breath. "You're all in," I said with a small smile.

   Sighs of relief rippled through the room and I noticed Modryn's back straighten in the corner of my eye showing his pleasure at my decision. He always loved having new associated to boss about but I was not intending on our faction in Chorrol getting any bigger. "Olurba gra-Lurog, I want you to go to the Cheydinhal guild. Sader, head to Bravil and Tiela you report to Azzan in Anvil. Tia-taiorm, you go there too. They haven't had an Argonian before. S'Renji and Ma'Tasarr, both Leyawiin; and Llaaylyna Sedrethi, Bruma."

   The Dunmer groaned slightly and muttered under her breath, "But Bruma's so cold."

   My smile faded and my exhaustion streaks burned through. "Are you arguing with me, Associate?"

   Hanging her head, Llaalyna replied quickly, "No, Master."

   "You'll be travelling about anyway, running errands and contracts for your guild that your guild head Right-Wind will supply you with so it's not as if you're stuck there. Besides you'll get used to the cold. The others have. Also, the hall there needs filling out. Only two members stay there and it's getting harder for them."

   I saw a flicker of some emotion flash across Llaalyna's aqua face but she didn't speak. I started to walk away. "You are dismissed. Go to your stations."

   As they walked past me, I heard them talking amongst each other delighted that they would all be doing some good for the Empire. It was then that Llaalyna came to me. "Master, I don't mean to impose in any way but would I please be allowed to beg a favour?"

   After her remark earlier, her etiquette felt more in line with my position and I chose to forgive her incompetence. "Of course. What do you wish?"

   "You see," she began, looking a little pained by the tale she was going to tell, "my sister and I are from the house of Hlaalu in Morrowind but we were actually drafted in there when my father forced are family to move from our native Cyrodiil to Morrowind. However, the strict culture and harsh rulers became too much for us and although we loved our father, we fled home with our mother. But she grew weak as we had no money to provide food for us all and were forced to beg and she eventually died of exposure. My sister and I ended up living down on the Waterfront in a shabby hut. We were determined to make something better of our lives. But my sister was sinking further into depression and was worried about the guards of Hlaalu house coming to find us. So it was left to me to start over. I trained and I trained until I felt confident enough to come and stand before you today. But this morning I received word from my sister; we have been removed from the house due to not paying rent which we had not been told about in the first place. I am begging you, Master; may my sister please come with me to Bruma and stay in the guild? I know it's a terrible inconvenience but I am afraid of her going he same way as our poor mother, may she rest in peace."

   I was never one to be pulled into sympathy stories of any kind but Llaalyna's troubles and hardships pulled at my heart strings. However, I knew this was not a decision of mine and chose a more realistic option. "I cannot make that decision. You will have to take the matter up with your guild head. However, tell him that if he needs permission from me, I have already granted it."

   Llaalyna's face lit up joyfully. "Oh, thank you, Master! Thank you so much!"

   I smiled. "Tell me, what is your sister's name?"

   "Fhaértalä, ma'am."

   "Whenever she has a spare moment and I am around, send her to me. I wish to have a word with her."

   "Of course. Good day, Master."

   I watched the Dark Elf leave looking a little brighter than previously. But my legs were growing frailer by the second and I needed to get home. I was halfway down the second flight of stairs with the porter attached to my ankles when Modryn grabbed my arm. "Sorry to bother you but there's been a lot of contracts arriving and we need orders."

   Bitterness leaked unintentionally into my voice and spoke more harshly than was initially intended. "Well, why weren't they sent out? If I'm not here, you divide up the contracts and send them to the different guilds depending on how many each guild has accomplished each month. I've already explained this to you. I left you in charge because I thought you would be capable of a simple task such as that! You know what, just leave them all. I'll send them tomorrow morning."

   The porter finally took a step away from me. Modryn didn't wince, didn't respond angrily. He dropped my arm and said, "Yes, Master. Apologies."

   I sighed, relenting. "Look, I'm sorry but when you haven't slept in a month and people start telling you there's quite a few issues to attend to… ugh, it's not fun."

   "No, don't worry, I understand," Modryn replied. "I'll get as many contracts as possible out tonight but I can't promise to get rid of them all."

   "Sure, leave the unsent ones on my desk and I'll finish them in the morning. Thank you."

   I didn't borrow waiting for a reply. I left the guild at full speed using the last of my energy to push myself towards home, to bed. I thrust the key into the door and pulled it open forcefully… and there was Raminus Polus sitting in the bench across from the door, helping himself to the sweetcake that had been in my cupboard. Just what I needed.