Chapter Ten: Fragments of Memories

"This is the story of Midorima Shintaro, and this is how it will end." - Midorima Shintaro

XXXXXX

There was a flurry of activity almost immediately the moment when Tamaki, Shigehiro, Haizaki and Takao have returned to their base with the real Crown Prince in tow—only with Shigehiro almost carrying the redhead with him just because of how weak that the prince is.

Clearly, Nijimura had informed all the others about the circumstances and the truth regarding the Red King, though more than one of them had eyed Akashi uneasily even as Sakurai fussed over him. There is a reason after all why the Red King could impersonate the real Crown Prince for years without anyone realising that it's an imposter. They just look that much alike.

The only differences between the two is that the real Crown Prince had two red eyes, and he doesn't look evil or even vulgar like the Red King does, and he had a soft expression in his eyes and facial expression.

Even so, as far as anyone knows, Tamaki is the only one who could tell the two apart, save for Nijimura. And that had been only because the two have grown up with the royal twins and knew them well.

Sakurai had headed out of the infirmary two hours after Tamaki had brought Akashi in, telling the worried crowd that the prince is all right now, and that he needs some rest. He wasn't really tortured or even starved. The only thing even remotely wrong with him are just the few bruises and abrasions that he had gotten when the Red King had decided to mess with his twin brother a little.

Everyone had heaved a sigh of relief at that. As it was close to two in the morning by then, Shigehiro had shooed them all to bed. No one noticed Tamaki slipping away, heading towards the entrance of the sewers where the one on guard duty that night always sits.

No one but Takao, that is.

Takao had hesitated for several moments, wondering if he should go after her—knowing what he might and would find. The euphoria of having rescued the Crown Prince had everyone forgetting that a certain someone had given his life just so that the prince could be rescued.

Protect her, Takao. Watch over her.

Takao's eyes closed briefly in grief, recalling Midorima's last words to him with his final breath before he'd gone onto the next life.

Finally, the raven head walked towards the entrance of the sewers silently, his boots not making a single sound at all—all members of the Royal Guard were trained to not make a single sound whenever they walked and moved. It could often mean their undoing if so.

And sure enough, even as Takao neared the entrance of the sewers, he could hear the sounds of light sniffles, and he winced. Right. His guess is spot on.

Finally, Takao decided to throw caution to the wind and rounded around the corner, clearing his throat to announce his presence.

Kuroko Tamaki looked up at him from where she'd been sitting on the crates where she always sat whenever she is the one taking guard duty. Her eyes were slightly red-rimmed—indicating that she'd been crying, and clutched in her hands is Midorima's sword.

Takao said nothing—not even making a mention that he'd just seen Kuroko Tamaki of all people crying even as he leaned against the wall opposite Tamaki, both saying nothing for several moments.

He'd known Kuroko Tamaki for years—almost as long as he'd known Midorima, and had been in the Royal Guard for just as long. Just like the rest of the commanders, Tamaki is stubborn and obstinate, having a will of iron steel. She is pretty tough, and will never let anyone see her weaknesses.