Chapter Three: Light and Shadow

"Before the Generation of Miracles—the commanders of the Royal Guard became the tyrants they are now, they are people once upon a time." - Otsubo Taisuke

XXXXXX

A month after Seirin had met Kuroko Tamaki and the rest of the rebels have seen several changes.

True to their word, Riko and Hyuuga did make the decision to ally themselves with the remainder of the rebel forces. It is a unanimous decision by the rest of Seirin, as even they knew that they couldn't continue doing what they've been doing for the past two years. And if truth be told, it is already considered a miracle in itself that they have never gotten themselves caught or killed by the Royal Army or even the Royal Guard yet. The time when they have gotten a run-in with Aomine Daiki of the Royal Guard and his Covert Ops was the closest when they have ever came face to face with Death.

If Tamaki and several of the rebels haven't been spread throughout the town that Seirin had seek refuge in at that time, acting on information that the Royal Guard is marching on that town, then Seirin might already be drinking tea with the Shinigami in the Great Beyond.

Currently, the rebel forces have been focusing their energies on getting stronger, and also getting more ammunition and weapons from the black market weapon dealers. They were also focusing on getting food and medical supplies to the poorer villages and towns that couldn't gain any access to it.

The members of Seirin like Riko, Izuki, Koganei, Tsuchida, Furihata, Fukuda and Kawahara were mainly the ones going with several of the others to the remote villages and towns by using the underground sewer passageways to 'deliver' those supplies after some of the other rebels have stolen food and medical supplies from the nobles in the larger cities, thus delivering those same supplies to the poorer people aka Robin Hood style.

With each time that they went on a 'stealing excursion', the rebel forces usually kept a few of the things that they've stolen for themselves. Like what Hyuuga had later told Seirin; since they are also citizens of the Teiko Kingdom, they are entirely entitled to the things that the selfish nobles have been getting, thanks to the heavy levies and taxes that the king have imposed on the rest of the kingdom.

The silent Mitobe, while no good at combat and neither is he much good at spying, had ended up being a great help in the kitchen, much to Sakurai, Tamaki and Shigehiro's relief.

Because the lot of them are always running around, and there is always bound to be someone injured every single day, Sakurai is always needed at the infirmary, and thus, he couldn't really take on the kitchen duties atop his own duties as the combat base's doctor which had been affectionately nicknamed the 'Phantom base' as nearly all of the main rebel group members were stationed there along with several others.

Like what Takao had told Seirin on their first day, there were several other bases littered all throughout the sewers, with each of them having their own respective duties. It is just that the Phantom base is the more combat orientated base. There are bases that focus more on intelligence gathering, even the purchasing of weapons and such. Those several different bases communicate with each other by mainly using the large communication devices that could be found at each base, though sometimes, one of the members from the different bases would make the long trip through the sewers to their base.

Like what Takao had told them before; you have to know the underground passageways of the sewers well, or you'll get hopelessly lost. Tamaki had taken Hyuuga and Riko with her to some of the other bases with her the third week after they've allied with them officially. The three of them were gone the entire day, only returning late at night.

And when the rest of Seirin had bombarded their two leaders on what the other bases are like and all that, Riko had told them that appearance-wise, the other bases isn't very different from the one that they are staying in. They are still wondering how the hell they managed to build bases like this beneath everyone's noses in just a mere year or so. The other members of the rebel forces that Riko and Hyuuga were introduced to were wary of them in the beginning, but they soon warmed up to the two.