Chapter 25: The source of the leak

Athena did go home, but not to panic. She sent Dyo a couple of messages, neither of which he answered and then sent another to Ariadne, as she assumed she and Orion probably wouldn’t even have noticed that the feeds had gone down.

While she waited for an answer, she started to make some lunch in the flat’s kitchen. For the first time in weeks, the sun was beaming and with the oven on, Athena could almost pretend it was spring as she looked out of the kitchen window.

She was startled when she heard the lock click behind her and the doorway open. Cress entered the flat, giggling to a figure walking in behind her. A figure who looked like…

Castor Grant. For the second day in a row.

Athena was shocked.

Sure, she could understand Cress’ interest in Castor; he was successful and influential and worked for the biggest company in London and possibly the whole of New Britain. Cress’ obsession made perfect sense to Athena. What she couldn’t get her head around, however, was why Castor would possibly be interested in Cress. A first year student who, although passionate and dedicated, had no influence level outside of the halls. Even Daphne would make a more rational choice than Cress.

So why was he here, again?

“Hey, Athena. I didn’t realise you had come home too,” Cress said, her smile fading slightly when she saw her. “Is your friend with you?” She wrinkled her nose, looking in the direction of Athena’s room. Concerned.

“No, she’s not. It’s just me.”

“Okay then,” Cress replied, brightening considerably. She must not have wanted Castor to see Ari, in case he judged her poorly for it. “Well, we’ll leave you to it. Have a nice lunch.”

She waved and headed into her room, pausing only when she realised that Castor wasn’t following.

Instead, he was watching Athena, looking like he wanted to say something.

Athena felt herself begin to panic. Did he recognise her from the restaurant? Did he realise that Dyo had been up to something? Perhaps she should have hidden when he came in…

“Athena?” He said her name as though it were a question.

When he didn’t say anything more, she answered, “Yes?”

“Cress’ flat mate, right? She’s told me all about you. It’s lovely to meet you properly.” He smiled broadly, oozing charisma.

“Thank you,” Athena replied, still slightly confused. What would Cress have said about her?

Cress herself looked as though she were thinking the exact same thing. “Castor, don’t you want that book back? I thought you were in a rush…”

He turned round, that smile still on his face. “I am. If you could grab it for me, that would be great, Cressida.”

Cress looked stung, but went into her room alone.

What was Castor up to? Athena felt a different sort of panic spreading through her. What if Castor had recognised her some time ago? What if, once Dyo had bugged him, he had done some bugging of his own? Bree might have been right - maybe Athena was the source of the leak - she just hadn’t realised it.

“Athena? He asked again, his smile gone, replaced with a look of concern. “Are you okay? You look a bit ill.”

“I… I’m not sure. I think I should go and lie down… Why don’t you take a seat on the sofa, I’m sure Cress will be out in a minute.”

Without giving him a chance to reply, Athena turned off the oven, abandoning her lunch and went into her room, shutting the door firmly behind her. She lent against the solid door, waiting for her heart to stop racing.