Chapter 3: Democracy for Beginners

‘Democracy for Beginners’ was the name of the class, not that any of its students could really be referred to as beginners in politics, after almost twenty years of votes and campaigns. But the class was compulsory for all first years, and covered more of a history of democracy over the centuries rather than an introduction to the modern political system.

 Athena, who had always enjoyed history at school, had been looking forward to starting the class this term, until Cress had begun to complain about it. The other girl’s assertions that the class would be dull and unnecessary had left Athena slightly apprehensive.

 “It’s all just so basic,” Cress complained from their shared kitchen while making herself a cup of tea - even though the class was due to start in fifteen minutes. Athena, who had been waiting by the door for her friend for some time now, shrugged.

 “This is our first year - the basics were what I expected to be covering.”

 Cress rolled her eyes, a gesture which looked less menacing than she intended since her glasses were fogging over with steam.

 “Surely they could give us credit for some level of intelligence. This is our second term - they should know by now that we are not all idiots.”

 Athena decided that it would be prudent not to answer that one. Cress believed she was always right and it was easier to let her keep believing so. Cress took a long, slow sip of her green tea then glanced up at the clock on the wall behind her.

 “I don’t think I’m going to rush for this one, but you should go on ahead - I know you’re looking forward to it.”

Athena nodded. It wasn’t just that she was looking forward to the class; she didn’t like arriving late to lectures due to the turned heads and curious stares it always prompted. This was probably exactly what Cress wanted, but was something Athena tried to avoid at all costs. “I’ll see you in there,” she told her flatmate, zipping up her coat before she opened the door.

 “Save me a seat!” Cress called as she stepped out into the corridor.

 The London University of Politics was based in the original political centre of the capital: the ‘Houses of Parliament’. The interior of the building had been completely gutted and replaced with modern lecture theatres and seminar rooms.

 The girls’ halls were only a few streets away, but the fierce wind made the brief journey torturous. Athena hugged her arms to her body, putting her head down and walking as quickly as possible.

 The LUP was well heated, Athena was pleased to notice, and she quickly stripped off her extra layers as she took her seat in the lecture hall. She took a new notebook - pink, of course - out of her bag, along with a pen which she tapped absentmindedly against the desk while waiting for Cress to appear.

 There was a thud as a bag was thrown down on the bench beside her. Athena turned, presuming that Cress had changed her mind about arriving late, but was shocked to discover that the bag was inky black with luminous turquoise piping. Cress’s bag definitely didn’t look like that.

 The owner of the bag could have stood out for any number of reasons: her blond hair had multiple braids running through it and jutted out at odd angles; she was dressed in head-to-toe black, without a spot of pink in sight and her blue eyes were smudged with a smoky black.

 “Ariadne Taylor,” she said, smiling at me. “First year student. Yourself?”

 “Athena Mills, I’m a first year too. I don’t think I’ve seen you before.”

 Ariadne shrugged. “I didn’t make it to many of my lectures last term,” she added with a sly smile.

 “So you’re starting fresh this term?”