Part 16

Part 16

"How are we going to find the button? And what will you tell Dash if or when he asks for it?" Tracey whispered as we sat in Math class trying to solve problems that had no right to be in my life right now. I normally enjoyed Math or any other subject for that matter, but today, I just couldn't deal with anymore problems, especially those that required me to find the answer. I already had a killer to find and now my teacher expected me to find the value of x. The world needed to learn to solve its own problems.

You are the one who took on this job of finding the killer; nobody asked you to.

Alright, my annoying inner voice had a point. But in my defence, I was curious and wanted a peaceful academic year. And as long as this killer was on the loose, there would be no peaceful academic year for me.

"Well?" Tracey asked when I did not reply. It had been two days since our button search in our dorm room, and so far I had no idea what I would tell Dash if he asked me about the button or where the stupid thing went.

"I don't know," I whispered, irritated at myself and this stupid problem in front of me. I did not care about x or y, I just wanted to find the button, give it to Dash and find the killer as soon as possible.

"You've been avoiding Dash since two days. If you keep this up, he is going to get suspicious if he isn't already," she stated, causing me to roll my eyes. Yes, I had been avoiding Dash since the last two days. I just couldn't face him knowing that I had lost our only clue. He would kill me, I was sure it.

"Yeah, well I have no choice. If he finds out I lost the button he will tell his personal chef to prepare me on a silver platter so he could eat me," I hissed, making sure to keep my voice low so as not to draw the attention of the teacher.

"That is not going to happen. If you stop looking so guilty, Dash will never find out," my best friend replied, scribbling the answer on her worksheet.

"He will find out. He is very smart," I argued, cursing the numbers and letters scattered over my worksheet. Right now, I wanted to tear the piece of paper into a hundred pieces and chuck it into a trashcan.

"Oh please." Tracey scoffed. "You give him too much credit. He is not as smart as you think."

"You don't know him like I do," I countered, then mentally slapped myself. I didn't know Dash from Adam. I'd only just met him.

"That is not true!" I was pretty sure the teacher was deaf if she did not just hear Tracey. "He is not even in class and he is a rich, spoiled guy."

"Being rich doesn't mean you're stupid," I reasoned.

Just then the classroom door opened and in walked Dash who strode inside as if he owned the place, and expected people to bow down to him as if he were some kind of a god.

His eyes immediately found mine and I bit my lip before looking away. Maybe he would think I was shy. No, that was stupid. The probability of Dash thinking I was shy was equivalent to that of the sun rising from the west.

"Mr. Melwin," the teacher began. "Please try to be on time. This school does not accept tardiness." She scolded.

Dash rolled his eyes. He actually rolled his eyes. Why couldn't he respect the teachers for once? It wouldn't kill him. Why did he have to show the whole world just how rich and spoilt he was?

You lost the button. I think you have more important things to worry about than Dash's attitude with the teachers.

My inner voice needed a slap in the face. As soon as this class would end, I would make a run for it. I would go to Damien because he was currently lying in the school's infirmary thanks to my boyfriend and Ben. It was awful, what they did to him. And I was going to take my revenge on Dash for hurting my friend like that. However, Damien was getting better. The nurse told me that Damien would make a full recovery within a few days.