Chapter 6

Kendall

I took off my apron, stuff the tips into my pocket and hoping that Nick is not in Cain's office. I have been avoiding Cain for the entire day. The crowd today is insane anyway, so there isn't much time for us to interact with each other.

Jackie sauntered in with his apron in his hand, "Looking for Nick? I saw him watching Spongebob in boss office."

I couldn't help but to groan at the fact that I have to face Cain now. Jackie, as usual knew what is going on just by a look. "Honey, you can't escape forever."

I know right. I shoved Jackie playfully, hoping that he will drop the subject. "Well, Jacksonville."

"Do not," Jackie warned, pointing his finger at me, "Do not mock my name,"

I put my both hands up, smiling, "I'm not mocking your name. It's a cool name. I will totally name my second kid Seattle."

The chefs overheard our conversation, burst out laughing and slapping Jackie's back, "She's good,"

I did a bow to them when they began cheering.

Jackie clicked his tongue, "Good game, Kendall, good game. I can't stay here any longer. Gays have egos too. It's just not as big as men,"

Everyone was still cracking up when Jackie waved goodbye to us and left the restaurant.

Nice save, Kendall.

I said goodbye to the rest and headed towards Cain's office. I took a deep breath before knocking on the door. I heard Cain said, "Come in, Kendall."

I found Nick sleeping on Cain's lap. Toys are scattered everything and I saw the empty plates. Cain was studying me and he said, "Don't worry about the mess. I encouraged him to do it. I will clean up later."

"I should help you clean up before I go," I quickly collect all the plates. Cain reached for my hand but I took my hand back.

I really wanted to touch him so badly. But no, Kendall, you can't do this to yourself. He has a girlfriend for god sake. He has a bloody photo on his desk.

Cain looked hurt when I pulled back. He cleared this throat, "We need to talk,"

"We've got nothing to talk about," I said, heading to the kitchen and placed the plates on the sink. I took my time to wash the plates, stack it on the dishwasher.

By the time I went back to the office, Cain was already picking up the last toy and placing it in a basket. I didn't notice the basket before. Cain must have gotten a basket to put Nick's toys in it.

"Thank you," I said and when I was going to pick up Nick, Cain grabbed my arm and pulled me against him.

His hands are on my face, forcing me to look at his piercing grey eyes, "Emma is married. She cheated on me, got pregnant. Then she married the guy. She is no longer in my life, Kendall. I was going to get rid of the photo but I keep forgetting about it."

"But you still love her." I said, my voice shaking. I am trying so hard to stay away from Cain. The wall that I have built, crumbles when I catch a glimpse of him. I don't understand this feeling, I don't understand how can someone get me this worked up. I don't even feel a single drop of such emotion with Adam or Stanley.

"I loved her." Cain corrected, "I loved Emma. She broke my damn heart, Kendall. I didn't realise I was capable of falling in love again until you show up."

He placed his fingers on the scar behind my ear, "I don't care whatever you are scared of. I don't care whatever you are bringing to me. I don't care. I want you to stay. I want Nick to stay. So, Kendall, stop pushing me away. It's time for you to accept that you're also capable of falling in love again."