Chapter 3

Kendall

For the past four years, I have never get to enjoy the joy of making friends or even do something for myself and Nick. I've experienced things that nobody will want to go through and now I'm tasting freedom.

Jackie and I clicked the moment we met each other. He prefers the word 'destined'. He taught me everything I needed to know to be En Blue's waitress and Jackie is very good with the customers here.

"You won't believe what I just found out," Jackie joined me by the counter as I refilled the drinks. I smiled, "What?"

Sometimes Jackie tends to exaggerate things and it makes everything funnier.

"The bald handsome guy by the window?" Jackie nodded slightly with a smile without getting too obvious that he is talking about the bald guy by the window, drinking ice tea and tapping his big thumb on his iPad. "His name is Baldwin. Can you fucking believe this? Who the hell name their children Baldwin or in my case, Jacksonville."

I burst out laughing and turned to Jackie who is looking at me with a satisfied smile that he managed to make me laugh. I took a deep breath to calm myself down, then I failed. I cannot stop laughing.

"Your real name is Jacksonville?" I asked him, stifling a smile. "That's a nice name! Why would you change to Jackie?"

Jackie glared at me, slapped my bum lightly, "Just imagine introducing yourself as Jacksonville and people are like giving you the 'Are you kidding me' face then I have to explain how I get the name over and over again. No thanks, I will stick to Jackie."

I picked up my tray and about to go around and refill drinks when I saw Cain standing outside of the kitchen, his apron in his hand and his eyes looking at me as if I'm a puzzle he haven't figure out yet.

Jackie was psh-ing me to go for my rounds. I crunched my nose up at him and rolled my eyes. I heard him chuckling and mumbled 'Vixen' and laughing to himself before slapping my bum again, "Your break is in five,"

"Yes, Jacksonville," I taunted and Jackie almost tripped on a patron's chair. He held his tray up, covering the middle finger that he is flashing me.

By the end of today's shift, I am ready to go home and passed out. I said goodbye to everyone, heading to the back to look for Nick.

Abel is so kind to let Nick stay with her while I'm working. Sometimes if Abel is too busy, Nick will play or take his nap in the staff room. These are usually the places I will find Nick after my work.

I opened the staff room and I didn't see Nick in the room. I went to Abel's office and saw her door opened and — no sight of Nick. Panic started setting in. I rushed to the restroom and nope, nada. The only place I haven't checked is Cain's office.

I headed to the direction and saw Cain's door open slightly. I will take a peek inside and head upstairs. Maybe Nick was tired and he went upstairs to sleep.

I took a peek inside and there is my son, lying beside Cain — asleep. His toys are all over Cain's office and I instantly felt bad because Nick has messed up Cain's office.

The first time I went in, it was clean and tidy. But now, kids toys are scattered all over the floor. I sighed, bending down to pick up the toys.

xx

Cain

Kendall has been doing well in the restaurant. I could see the smile on her face as she talk to Jackie. I was walking back to my office when I heard her laughter. My legs almost buckled. She threw her head back and she was laughing at whatever Jackie was telling her.