Hot And Cold

Ashton and Calum gave each other a look when they heard screaming coming from one of the bedrooms.

"You're so fucking stupid! All you do is sit on your ass and play video games like a twelve-year old!" Luke screamed, slamming the door behind him so Michael couldn't follow him into the hallway.

Michael opened the door, letting the doorknob hit against the wall behind it. "That's my job! I review video games for a living! And you know what? That's what pays for most of the shit in this house!"

"I have a job t-"

"Wow, eight dollars an hour. Thanks for your contribution!" Michael spat as he made his way in the kitchen.

Calum bit his lip and muted the tv, wanting to hear their full conversation.

"Would you rather me not have a job? Is that what you're saying?"

Michael rolled his eyes, "It's pretty useless either way, but if it makes you feel important than go pour coffee into a cup for a living."

"I hate you."

The older man laughed and clapped his hands once. "You weren't saying that when I was fucking you against the wall, but I guess you get a little delirious after coming four times!"

"I hate you." Luke seethed, gripping the counter tops.

Michael stepped towards the angry blond, his face right in front of his. "Really? Because I think you love me, Sweetheart."

Luke gulped as he felt Michael grip his waist, running his hand over his butt.

He shook his head weakly, looking into Michael's forest green eyes, trying not to get lost in them like he had hundreds of times before.

Michael nodded his head, nudging it against Luke's, before pressing their lips together.

Luke brought his hands up to Michael's cheeks, pulling him closer.

They were interrupted when Ashton and Calum barged into the kitchen.

"This has to stop! Fighting and making out again is so unhealthy for your relationship. Either make up, or break up."

The two stared at their friends before looking back at each other.

"Let's go." Ashton said, directing all of them to the living room.

Luke sat next to Calum on one couch and Michael and Ashton sat on the other across from them.

Luke looked up at Michael but tore his gaze once Calum started speaking.

"Guys, you can't just keep fighting and then have sex to forget about it. That's super unhealthy and you can't have a strong relationship by doing it."

Ashton chimed in, "You both used to be so happy together. You barely fought and when you did, you made up the next day. Do you guys even love each other anymore?"

"Of course."

"Duh."

They both said at the same time. Luke kept his gaze on Michael as Ashton continued.

"Well it doesn't look like it. You guys have been dating for a while, I know you can work it out. But you actually need to communicate feelings and talk it out," Ashton and Calum both stood up and headed towards the door, "If we catch you guys having sex on the couch when we get back, you're going to be in trouble."

When they left, Michael took Calum's place on the couch.

They were silent for what felt like forever, until Michael broke the ice.

"Do you really hate me?"

Luke looked down at his lap as he fiddled with his fingers.

"Of course not. It was in the heat of the moment, but I should have never said it."

Michael nodded, keeping his hands on his lap, not knowing what to do with them.

"Am I useless?" Luke asked softly.

Michael furrowed his eyebrows, "What?"

"You said I have a useless job just to make myself feel important."

The older boy shook his head, grabbing Luke's hands in his.

"You're not useless at all. Frankly, I'm glad you have a job. You get to meet all these different kinds of people, even for a couple minutes. And when I used to visit you, you always looked so happy being there."

Michael smiled at the faint memory.

"Remember when you distracted me and the coffee splattered all over Devin?"

Michael laughed, a real laugh. Something he hadn't done in a long time.

"He was so pissed! That was amazing and you need to do it again."

Luke rubbed the back of Michael's hands, "You need to visit me at work again. I miss you."

"You do?" Michael questioned.

The blond nodded his head. "I miss having fun with you. We used to go out every Friday night and get drunk and have so much fun together. We used to sit at home and watch movies all day and eat junk food. We used to have sex that wasn't fueled by anger towards each other, we used to make love. I'm sorry for being a bitch to you the past few months."

Michael smiled softly, "I was acting like a bitch too. I'm sorry for trying to make you mad all the time and putting you down. I need you to know that I love you so much, and I appreciate everything that you've given me."

Luke shook his head, confused. "What have I given you?"

"You've given me," Michael spoke slowly and paused, "The best two years of my life. We went to Paris together for our one year, we bought a house together. We have memories together that I still cherish. You've given me a reason to wake up in the morning. When I met you, I was ready to give up on myself. But you believed in me, and I'm forever grateful for you."

Luke climbed on Michael's lap, hiding his face into his neck, muffling his crying.

"I love you so much. I'm so sorry for fighting with you all the time. It wasn't worth it and I want to go back to the way we were."

Michael rubbed Luke's back, kissing his temple. "Let's start over the last few months, yeah? We won't forget what happened, but let's build from it."

Luke nodded, cupping Michael's face in his palm. He kissed the older boy with a love they haven't felt in forever.

The kiss wasn't fueled by hate or anger. It was laced with love and compassion, two things they seemed to be missing.

Calum leaned his head against the doorframe, Ashton behind him. They watched the two make up, for good.

The moment was ruined when Michael laid them down, Luke still on top of him. They watched as Michael trailed his hand down Luke's spine, stopping at the hem of his pants.

Calum groaned since he knew what was coming next. "Let's get out of here."

They headed towards the front door, barely escaping without hearing a faint "Mikey" coming from the living room.

— • — • — • —

it's my bean's birthday i love my little egg