Chapter Seven

AN: Happy Birthday to me! I am *cough* years old today, and 9 years sober! Some of you are probably familiar with this Confucius quote, “We all have two lives. The second one begins the day you realise you only have one.” My second life began 9 years ago, and I haven’t looked back since. Have a great weekend! -xxx-

 ***

Norse proverb: No friend is he who but flatters.

Chapter Seven

Thanks to their link, Lisa didn’t have to search the whole tower before checking the roof. Loki was on the upper level though, and Lisa could see no easy way to get up there. She was sure there was a way, she just didn’t know it. Considering that Loki might be more than a little angry with her too, she also wasn’t sure it would be sensible to join him.

‘If you’re worried about me hurting you, why come up here?’

She looked up and even from a distance, was captured by his gaze. ‘I was worried about you.’

‘Is it a habit for humans to take stupid risks with their fleeting lives?’

She knew he was insulting her but he had just hit upon one of the greatest things about humanity.

‘Yeah, I suppose it is. For some people, doing something great is worth the risk, like climbing Everest or being the first to do anything. For others, it’s a need for the rush that doing crazy things brings; adrenalin junkies and dare devils. For most of us though, there’s always something or someone more important than us, that are worth risking our lives for.’

With a flick of his wrist, she found herself floating up to him. Her pulse spiked. ‘I think I just remembered why I don’t like heights!’

‘You aren’t an adrenalin junkie then?’

‘God no.’

She reached out for him as she got close, and he laughed as he grabbed her hands and pulled her onto the higher level, even although he could just as easily have used his magic to manoeuvre her.

As soon as her feet were on solid ground, she laughed, her hand clutching her heart as she recovered.

‘So,’ he asked. ‘What would you risk your life for?’

‘I would have thought that was obvious. I’m here, aren’t I? You’ve already tried to kill me once, I was standing next to you not five minutes ago when they tried to shoot you. At his rate, I’ll be lucky to make it five months, let alone years, but my sister’s worth it.’

‘If you’re waiting for an apology, you’ll be waiting a long time.’

Lisa smiled. ‘Thanks for the warning, but I’d already figured that out.’

‘So, what are you here for?’

‘To see how you are. I thought you might be mad at me.’

‘So you came to placate the beast?’

‘No, I just don’t believing in hiding from things. Problems should be confronted head on and frankly, if you’re going to kill me, I’d rather you did it now; it’s better than hiding for hours, waiting and wondering what’s going to happen.’

Loki laughed.

‘What?’ she asked.

‘Nothing, I just find you entertaining, that’s all.’

‘Well, I’m so glad I could be of service.’

Loki laughed again, then held his hand out, palm up. Lisa looked, wondering what he wanted, until a green shimmer solidified into a mobile phone.