Chapter Three

Chapter Three:

Anastasia sat in the garden gazing at the roses, wishing her life were as simple, she didn’t even hear the heavy footsteps approaching her.

"Princess?"

Anastasia looked up to see one of the Knights looking down at her concerned, "Yes?"

The Knight bowed his head slightly, "the King told me to inform you that your sister is here...." he looked a bit uncomfortable.

She sighed, then got up and brushed off her simple brown dress, "I will be there in a minute..."

"He said that he wanted you both to meet in here..." he replied.

Anastasia's eyes flashed, “You can tell him, if I am to meet my beloved sister it will not be in MY garden," she replied, bitterness seeping from her words, then she realized what her words sounded like out of her mouth and nearly wept.

"I'm turning into a bitter witch" she whispered brokenly.

"No, Princess... don't think that about yourself..."he said kneeling in front of her, "You've lost something that you have worked so long for, its understandable."

He got up again, "I will tell His Highness that you wish to meet elsewhere," he turned and left.

Anastasia only nodded, staring after him.

____________________________________________

Belle looked around in awe, she had never seen so much finery in her life! Her father had gotten a sapphire and gold dress for her which she was wearing now.  

I wonder what Anastasia is like....

This dress must have cost a fortune!

I don't think I could ever fit in a place like this....

Thoughts spun through her head, leaving her feeling dizzy.

"Princess Isobelle?" a male voice queried from behind her, she turned to face a tall but young looking Knight.

" Yes?"

"You are to meet your sister now, if you will follow me."

Belle nodded and he offered her his arm which she took hesitantly. They walked in silence through the halls, "Nervous?"the Knight asked.

" Beyond nervous...." she replied as they stopped in front of a set of ornate double doors that looked like they had been carved from ice and gold.

He opened the doors for her, inside, sat Anastasia, her green eyes cold and determined already to make it hard on Belle. Belle hesitated then steeled herself and walked in with as much grace as she could muster and sat down across from Anastasia, pretending not to notice her emerald glare.

The doors closed, leaving them alone in the room.

"So, I assume you are the long lost sister my father decided to bring back and steal my rightful place?" Anastasia asked coldly.

Belle did her best not to squirm under her younger sister's icy gaze. " Yes, I am Isobelle, please understand I had no more idea this was happening than you did, I worked for the past eight years to train to become a knight when I turn eighteen. I know nothing of grace and etiquette.... Please Anastasia give me a chance, I'd gladly step away from your dream, but fate has changed our paths..." Belle pleaded softly, hoping to break through her sister's icy shell.

Anastasia studied her for several moments, then looked down," I'm so sorry," she whispered.

Belle sat beside her and wrapped her arms around Anastasia's thin shoulders," I'm sorry too, it's unfair, but there is always a reason... at least I hope there's a reason for this..."

Anastasia looked at Belle, then hugged her back, "You'll make a good Queen..."she whispered, seeming honest.

"Will I?"

"Yes, I think so."

"In all honesty, I'm terrified....."Belle admitted.

Anastasia looked confused, "You are? Why?"

"I've only ever been around our cousins, all boys.... I know nothing of court practices and how to rule a kingdom.... In fact, when girls my age were dreaming about being you, I was play fighting with my cousins, and dreaming of becoming a Lady Knight...." she replied.

"You never wanted to be Queen?" Anastasia asked, bewildered, it was strange to her to know that her sister was so different from herself.

"I had never even fantasized about it, I never wanted to be like the princesses in the storybooks who had to wait for their Knight in Shining Armor to come. I always wanted to be able to defend myself."

They sat in silence for a while, Belle broke the silence," I know our father probably ordered you to tutor me in the ways of a Queen... but how about we make an agreement that if you help me, I could teach you some basics to defending yourself?"

Anastasia pondered the proposition for a few moments before nodding," I think that arrangement would do some good," she answered simply. She got up, "Please excuse me, I need to take care of a few things."

"May I come?"  

Anastasia shook her head," I'm sure Father will be wanting to show you around, we'll have plenty of time in the coming years to do things together."

"Alright..."

Anastasia stood up and left the room, leaving Belle in silence.