Chapter Two

Chapter Two:

-One week earlier-  

Belle and Ivan circled each other, their swords drawn.  

“Ready to get defeated cousin?" Belle asked with a smirk on her face.  

“Bring it on girly," Ivan replied and jabbed at her. Belle easily blocked the blow and swung towards his left shoulder which was his most vulnerable spot, but he dodged to the right.  

"Nice try imp," he chuckled then swung at her feet. She jumped over his sword then hit his shoulder with the flat of her sword, knocking him over.

"Ha! I told you I'd beat you," Belle exclaimed in triumph.  

"Alright, I surrender!"

"Isobelle! Get inside!" Giana, Max's wife called loudly from the balcony overlooking the courtyard.

Belle rolled her eyes and handed Ivan her sword before running inside. "Yes Giana?"  

“You need to get cleaned up, no, scrub yourself, and put on that dress I bought you, hurry up!" Giana replied, taking hold of Belle's shoulders and guiding her to her room.  

"But why?"

"Someone important will be arriving by noon!" Giana exclaimed helping Belle shed the light chain mail armor she had been wearing, then her underclothes. She got into the tub and scrubbed herself as Giana washed her hair. After scrubbing every inch of her body she got out and dried off. Giana helped her into her corset and pulled tight.  

"Aunty! I can barely breathe!" Belle gasped breathlessly as Giana slipped the dress onto her and fastened the back up.  

"Sorry dear," Giana replied absentmindedly as she braided Belle's long chestnut coloured tresses into a crown on her head.  

Belle stared at herself in the mirror, the dress her aunt chose for her was sky blue with dark blue on the edges; the neckline was rounded and showed more chest than she was used to but it was still modest. She fingered the long skirt with was fuller than most ladies had their dresses at that point but the seamstress insisted it was much more flattering.  

"Who is this important mystery person?" she asked.

“‘Tis best if he introduces himself.... You look beautiful, just like your late mother."

Giana had woven blue cornflowers into Belle’s braids, the blue of her dress and the flowers in her hair made her sky blue eyes stand out against her tanned complexion.  

"With all this prettying up you'd think the King Himself were coming!" Belle breathed.

Giana paused for a second before leading Belle out of her room towards the Grand Hall of the castle. When they appeared in the doorway a middle aged man, finely but simply dressed looked towards them.

She stared at him, or his crown rather, it wasn't until her Aunt gently nudged her that she curtsied.

"Your Highness," Giana greeted graciously.

Belle was still staring at the King, he had the same dark hair as she, although it was greying, but what she noticed most was his emerald green eyes. They seemed to be able to pierce through the most stubborn of souls, but upon noticing the hints of laugh lines near his eyes and mouth she relaxed slightly.

The King walked slowly towards Belle, then stopped just in front of her and gently took her hand.

"Isobelle, I am your father, you are my firstborn, the heir to my throne, when you turn eighteen, you will be Queen."

Belle stared at him in shock then snatched her hand away," What?! Do you have any idea how bad of a joke this is?!"  

"Isobelle, this is no joke, you are my daughter and you will take the throne in less than a year," the King replied patiently.

"Don't you have Princess Anastasia, isn't she supposed to take the throne?!"

"No, you are firstborn."

"So you decide NOW to rip me from my life?! I never wanted to be Queen, I am to become a knight!"

"You are destined to become Queen."

"No!!" Belle shouted, her face inches from her father's, then she turned and fled from the room.

Belle ran through the fortress then ran right into Ivan," What's wrong Issy? You're crying..."

"M-my father is h-here, I'm never going to become a lady knight now...."Belle sobbed into his chest. Ivan picked her up gently and carried her to the small enclosed garden area. "Why now Ivan? I just don't understand..."

Ivan looked at her, "I know not why the King chose to tell you like this, and it is most certainly unfair.... but Belle, you have to be strong like you've always been. Put the same dedication you put into training, into becoming Queen and you'll succeed," Ivan said softly.

Belle looked at him, her blue eyes brimmed with tears, "But the only thing I've ever wanted was to become a Knight, I never wanted this..."

"I know Belle... How about we make a deal, if I come with you to keep you company, you need to try your best to learn the ways of a Queen, and if after two months you can't stand it then I will help you get out of this, alright?" Ivan asked, gently brushing the tears from her eyes.

Belle nodded slowly,"It's a deal, thank you Ivan," she whispered.

"Anything for my Princess cousin," Ivan replied softly.

Belle shook her head,"There will be no titles between us please?"

Ivan smiled," Alright Belle, let's get your face washed then let's go back to talk to your father."

Belle hesitated but got up walked to the fountain and splashed her face with the cool water. Ivan took her hand gently and led her back through the castle to the grand hall again. She froze in the doorway when she saw her father again, sitting in a chair looking ill.

The King looked up and saw Belle and Ivan," I'm so sorry Isobelle, I shouldn't have forced that onto you so fast," he apologized.

Belle walked to him and knelt beside him taking his hand," I shouldn't have reacted so harshly, I'm ready to go home now," her voice quivered as she spoke,"On one condition."

"What is that condition?" the King asked.

"That I am allowed to take Sir Ivan as my companion, and that I will be allowed to still train in my spare time."

The King nodded," I agree to those conditions," he pulled Belle to him gently and hugged her.