Chapter 8

“Are you a little excited for something lover boy?” She asked me with a knowing smile on her face.

                “Actually yes, I’m very excited for you to be staying with me like it should be. I know we’ve had our issues and differences but I want this to work out this time. Believe me, I’m not going to be the one screwing up this time.”

                “Are you implying that I’m going to screw up in some way?” Katie asked raising one eyebrow.

                “No, I would never do that baby,” I corrected myself quickly.

                “Aww, you’re so cute, don’t worry I was kidding, mostly.” Katie told me before flouncing out of the room.

                I followed her out eagerly. Katie was talking with her friends next to her locker. I slowly walked over to them so I could hear what they were talking about.

                “So my dad’s making me stay at Sterling’s house for a week.”    

                “What!” One of the girls exclaimed.

                “It’ll be good for you to learn how to live with him,” another girl said.

                “How do you feel about it?” A third girl asked Katie.

                “I’m scared. I never know how to feel around him. It’s exhausting to keep fighting the mate bond.”

                “Then why are you fighting it?”

                “Because Sterling can be a complete jerk. I don’t want to be with someone like that.”

                “Honey, you’re his mate for a reason. You’re a perfect match for him, all of him, even his jerky moments.”

                “Why are you all so much smarter than me?” Katie asked. “This week will be a new start, I’ll try to remember everything you just said.” At that point I started to feel a little bit guilty for eavesdropping on my mate.

                “Hey babe, are you ready to head home?” I asked her giving her a quick kiss and wrapping my arm around her waist. 

                “Yeah, sure, I’m sure you’re anxious to get home to mommy,” Katie told me with a smirk. I rolled my eyes but didn’t say anything. I just steered Katie to my car. The car ride was silent until we got to my driveway.

                “I’ve been thinking a lot about this, I’d like to start this week fresh, with no past arguments or anything.”

                “You’re so smart, I was thinking the exact same thing.”

                “Good.”

                “Are you ready to see my mom again? I think if we sit in the car any longer she’s going to come out here and drag you inside herself.” So we headed inside. 

Katie’s POV

                “Katie! I’m so glad my son finally did something about his screw up.” Sterling’s mom told me giving me a huge hug.

                “I’m glad we’re working it out too, we’ve decide to start fresh this week,” I told her.

                “Well I’m going to let Sterling get you settled, dinner should be ready in an hour or so,” she told me before glaring at Sterling then leaving.