Chapter One ♦ Trust

My eyes sprang wide open when I heard a blood curdling scream coming from Nissa. I jumped up and went over to the bed where she lay motionless, but screaming at the top of hear lungs.

“Nissa, wake up!” I said and jiggled her shoulder slightly.

Her eyes bolted open and her screaming stopped. But then she looked up at my face and realized who I was. Tears streamed down her face. She screamed again.

“I’m sorry, Nissa. Please don’t hate me. I know I hurt you, but that honestly, wasn’t my intention.” I said and stroked her arm with my fingertips.

She jumped back and covered her bare arm with the blankets on my bed.

If that’s the way she wanted to be about it. Fine. I was trying really fucking hard to be nice.

She brought her hand up to her neck where I had bitten her, and grimaced.

I walked out of the room and grabbed some gauze and other supplies, from the first aid cabinet. I came back into the room and Nissa looked at the objects in my hands.

“What are you going to do to me?” She asked, tears spilling out of her eyes again.

“I’m going to dress your wound. Nothing more. Nothing less.” I said.

She nodded cautiously.

I climbed on the bed and moved her blonde hair out of the way. She started to breath faster, like she did last night before she passed out.

“Don’t pass out on me again, please.” I said and chuckled nervously.

“I’ll try not to.” She said meekly.

I swabbed the two puncture wounds with alcohol and she inhaled sharply through her teeth. I blew on it to ease the burning sensation. I placed the piece of gauze on her skin delicately, and taped it down.

I got off of the bed and sat down on the couch.

“Thank you.” She said quietly.

“You’re welcome.” I answered.

I heard Nissa’s stomach growl and I got up and went over to the intercom and pressed the button.

“How can I help you?” A slave answered.

“Bring up some breakfast for Nissa.” I commanded.

“I will at once, sir.”

I went back over to my seat and stared at Nissa, unsure of what to say.

“How old are you?” She asked.

“I’ve been seventeen since 2012. Which was ten years ago. You do the math.” I answered and smiled.

“How old are you?” I asked.

“Sixteen.” She said.

We stared at each other in silence. One, because I had absolutely no clue what to say. And two, because I was mesmerized by her beautiful green eyes.

“Are you going to… feed off of me again?” she asked timidly.

“I’ll have to.” I paused briefly as I exhaled.

“If I don’t, they’ll put me in jail, and kill you.” I said and she nodded as she stared at me.

“You know, despite what I did last night, I don’t want to hurt you. That was never my intention, and never will be. You are safe here. I won’t let anyone hurt you.” I meant every word, whether she believed it or not.

She blinked twice, and nodded her head slightly.

“Tell me how you ended up in slavery,” It was a question that I had been wondering the answer to, but I didn’t want to make her more upset.