12 • reasons (pt. 2)

don't die before you're dead
rachel wolchin

___

"AND on that ominous note," Markus intervenes, "Redmond calls."

He stands up, prompting the rest of us to do the same. We then walk idly towards the congregation that had now surrounded Redmond. As we draw nearer, I notice a couple of students with white wristbands in their arms. The number increases the closer we get to the front.

"What are those things?" I ask Willow, who happened to be the closest to me at that moment.

"Ability dampeners." Seeing the blank look on my face, she elaborates, "They stop us from using our powers."

"Like by suppressing them?"

"Not really," Willow replies. One of the lab-coated people that usually surround Agent Redmond approaches us. Willow puts out her hand to receive the wristband. I do the same. "It's more like... they give you a little shock if you do- reminding you to keep them in check."

I scrunch my nose, staring at the white device that was now secured to my wrist. "That sounds even worse."

Willow smiles wryly. "Try not to think about it- or use your powers and you'll be okay."

Considering I had no control of my abilities (whatever they truly were), this wasn't exactly a comforting statement, yet I respond to Willow's reassuring smile with a weak one of my own.

"You're right," I murmur, "I'll be okay."

   By the end of the course, I felt anything but okay.

Though I had managed not to trigger my ability-dampening wristband, the obstacle course proved to be a challenge in itself. Though I wouldn't exactly count myself as sporty, I've always thought myself to be fit enough for someone who avoided most social situations. The obstacle course, however, seemed desperate to prove me wrong.

By the third climbing rock, I was beginning to wish I really was in control of my abilities. Regardless of the consequences, I was sure if I could, I would've tried blowing up the whole thing just to get it over with.

The only upside was reaching the end. Sore and aching all over, I collapse at the edge of entrance to the Dome next to Valerie, who I spot resting against a pillar.

"Where is everyone else?" I ask between breathless pants.

"Don't worry, you're not last," she tells me.

I look up, confused. "I'm not? How?"

Valerie angles her head in the direction of a large television screen on the pillar opposite hers.

They were televising the entire thing?

I didn't have time to think about what that meant. On screen, I notice a familiar redhead arguing with an equally familiar dark haired brunette. Willow and Cass, I realise, groaning internally. They looked on the verge of starting a full on brawl, if not for the fact that they were being held back by Logan and Markus. However it didn't help that even with no sound, it was evident that they two were in a heated argument.