8 • abnormalities

normality is a paved road: it's comfortable to walk,
but no flowers grow on it.
vincent van gogh

___

    BY foot, Redmond said, it took under two hours to get from one side of the island to another. The school itself took up almost a third of that space.

Considering I didn't make it a habit to take 2 hour walks, I didn't know whether that meant the school was large or the island was seriously tiny. I settle for a bit of both.

Dauntley Academy – the official name for Morgana's Boarding School for Freaks, was perched on top of the highest point on the island and could be seen from all points on the island.

At first glance, the academy sort of resembled a chalet or perhaps even a castle with its many windows and brick Gregorian style architecture. The building seemed to juxtapose itself, with its interior greatly contrasting the old-fashioned feel of outside with its minimalist, almost futuristic theme. In all honesty, from what I'd seen of the school so far, it all seemed to be an indecipherable mix of old and new.

And my room was exactly the same.

The room was quite large– or at least larger than my 4 by 4 meters room back in Haven. It was composed of a disconcerting amount of white, the only non-white item standing out was a dark strip along the wall and underneath the window sill.

Ignoring the overwhelming colour scheme, the next thing I notice is that there are two of everything.

I furrow my eyebrows. I wasn't told anything about a roommate, but it was the only logical conclusion. On opposite sides of the room, were identical beds, wardrobes and bedside tables complete with a mini drawers and a small (white) lampshades. They were practically reflections of themselves. The only difference was that on one side of the room, there was also an array of suitcases, boxes and bags waiting to be unpacked.

My luggage, I realised.

I vaguely recalled Redmond mentioning that little fact to me earlier that day. From this, I assume that to be my designated corner of the room and move towards it. I glance reluctantly at the items, then look around to see a slightly ajar door I hadn't acknowledged before.

From the little glimpse I got, I guessed it must be the bathroom.

Taking a few items out of my bags, I venture towards the bathroom, locking the door behind me.

My eyebrows raise in when I am in. Unlike the main room, the bathroom is completely stocked with toiletries, and not just generic ones. I doubt the extensive make up set in varying shades of browns and tanned hues was a welcoming present from Morgana.

I shrug it off with indifference, as I get ready to have a shower. It would probably make sense later.

   Taking an hour long shower probably wasn't necessary- I hadn't done anything strenuous that day to amass to it, and the only major outcome was my skin having a partial pruned appearance to them. Nevertheless, I didn't regret it. I was a bundle of nerves and I needed something to calm me down. All I felt was anticipation.

This was going to be my fresh start.

My do-over. My chance to improve, to have friends that could get to know the real me, and maybe this time, to not just be known as the new girl.