Chapter 1: Amelia

Amelia

'Amelia, get up sleepyhead, it is time for school,' Mum howled. She stormed upstairs with a plan to nudge me a couple of times to wake me up.

   'No, I don't want to go to school,' I moaned like every other teenager did. 'I am not in the mood so can you just go away, please?'

   'It is your first day back at school as a seventeen-year old; don't you want to catch up with your friends? It has been six weeks since you have seen them,' Mum stated a clear mellow voice. 'You haven't even spoken or have even communicated with them since the start of the holidays - is something wrong?' Mum asked in a concerned tone.

   I looked at her with a sad expression. She knew why I hadn't spoken to any of my friends these past weeks. It seemed just like yesterday I put on that fake smile to them saying "of course we are going to go out in the holiday". None of them had known why I was hurt except for one; Jessica.

   Only her and Mum had known about my miserable condition, but she didn't do anything like a friend should have. I couldn't believe what her response was. I should have given her a smack when she had replied like that. Jessica was one of the reasons why I had shut the rest of the world out to listen to depressing music. The other reason was much more disheartening to have even thought about.

   'I don't want to see him, not after when he did that to me,' I sulked as I brushed the tears off my eyes.

   'Oh, so this situation is about him?' Mum questioned. 'There's going to be times when some boys are not what they seem. You are beautiful, smart and a wonderful person to be around. You don’t need that boy in your life. Well, I say to hell with him and to the rest of the other heartbreakers.’ 

   ‘Thank you Mum,’ I mumbled with a blue emotion. ‘I know I can’t forgive him for what he did, but he still wants to be friends. He texts me every day saying how sorry he is, should I at least let him be my friend?’  

   ‘No, no and no! I am sorry, but if my ex-boyfriend cheated on me and then expected me to forgive him, I would gladly get a pitchfork on him in addition to chasing him for miles,’ Mum clarified with a stern voice. ‘Listen, you loved him, that’s normal, but there comes a time when you have to let something go. This is the time for that. You have to set an example for your younger sister when she reaches your age and has to deal with these types of situations,’ she said calmly.

   ‘Yeah Mum, I guess you’re right, but I can’t just pretend to myself that everything is okay when it’s not. You and Dad raised me to independent and truthful,’ I stated clearly.

   ‘Well you are going to have to try. Sometimes you have to do stuff for others rather than yourself, we raised you for that,’ Mum uttered in a caring way. 

    I do a simple nod to accept what she had said. I still couldn’t get over the fact that Jake cheated on me. “I love you” were just three words he said that hadn’t meant anything. I realised that I wasted my time for droning about him this month. He probably had replaced me a minute after we broke up. This was the time for a new start and a new change.

   Mum had risen from the bed to clean around everywhere else. She gave me a kiss on the cheek after she had got up. When she had risen, she put her hand on her chin as if she was remembering something. She does the “ah” later when she remembered. Mum made her way back to the same position she was before when she consulted me to forget about Jake.

   ‘I forgot to tell you this, but I heard from one of our neighbours that a new boy was coming to your school. He is going to be in the same year as you so I had figured that you can be his first friend,’ Mum voiced.