the disastrous flashback

a.n. just a quick word! i'm so sorry for the long wait, but i think i am finally getting back into the groove. i'm participating in nano this year so hopefully that'll get things started and stuff! and again, thank you all for your support. i know i'm a sucky author for not really being active, but i'm trying again! 

anywho, i hope you enjoy this. i think we're almost at the end!

stay happy, stay safe, stay you!

Everything was a disaster and I didn't fucking understand why it was taking us so fucking long to just get the fuck out of this prison. Honestly! It was like we had spent an entire year in this hellhole! No hellhole takes a this long to fucking get through.

But I wasn't going to say that out loud. I may be angry, but at least, I didn't say anything and voiced my childishness.

I couldn't say the same for someone else.

"Why is it taking us forever to get out of here," Arthur complained in aggravation. He let out a huff of air and since he was walking right behind me, as if he could prove to be a barrier of some sort, I felt it brush right over my head.

I ducked, sending him a peeved glare before rushing forward to walk alongside North.

No one acknowledged his complaint, though. It wasn't the first time he'd said so and we all knew that if he wasn't going to shut up by now, nothing we could say would make him do so. Although, I swear, Gabriel was seconds away from snapping his neck.

Personally, I wouldn't object.

"Don't you wish you stayed at home now?" North commented beside me. It sounded like he was trying to ease the tension, which seemed a little out of sorts for our situation.

Slightly surprised, I shrugged, muttering, "Can't do anything about it now."

"I know, but a lot of things could have been prevented."

"Yeah, and a lot of things would have been pushed back." And because I couldn't help being defensive, I added, "And mom might be earless."

I could feel North's face turn grim. "We are sorry about that."

"'We'?" I said. "So you admit that you were a part of this?"

"I do, but that isn't the point," he responded slowly. "We were just being careful; we didn't want to act too hastily. And we know you well enough to know how hasty you can be."

I rolled my eyes, but begrudgingly accepted the fact. "So what if I am?"

"Stop being so defensive. We were just looking out for you. Arthur was looking out for you. He cares about you, you know?"

"Does he? Does he really?" I asked, sarcastically. "I didn't realize especially since this rescue mission of yours seems like such a burden to him."

North glanced back at the annoying prince. He sighed, lowering his head in admittance. "He isn't used to having to cater to others. He's lived his whole life in the shadow of his brother, knowing he wouldn't inherit the throne and he's been laying low. He's not one to work well with others."

I scowled at him. "Are you making excuses for him?"

"I'm--No, I'm just..." North scrambled for something to say that wouldn't get me all riled up and I let out a huff of indignance.

"Spit it out already," I hissed, crossing my arms in front of me.
"Arthur's my friend. He helped me a lot when I was training back at the island. No one there seemed to like Americans and if it wasn't for Arthur, I probably wouldn't have come out in one piece," he admitted.