Chapter 6

"Welcome back," Sam was sitting with his long legs curled up underneath him as Krista and Rosa entered. His eyes were closed and his whiskers twitched as the women drew closer. "I'm afraid you've just missed Artemis. She's locked herself up in one of the hyperbolic chambers for the rest of the day."

"Did she tell you how it all went?" Rosa sighed as she slipped her earpiece out.

"Does she ever?"

"Turns out the doc was with Maximoff. But she doesn't believe it's against his will."

"No?"

"She thinks they're in love. She says she saw it in their auras."

"I take it you do not agree?"

Krista saw the conflict on Rosa's face as the woman shook her head. "I don't know, I just... Have this gut feeling."

"I have always taught you to trust your gut, have I not?"

"Yeah... But Missy was real convinced..."

"Well, perhaps you are misinterpreting your 'gut feeling,' is there any other reason you can see for it? Perhaps Max's magic was disrupting your ability?"

"Maybe..." Rosa chewed her lips and Sam opened his eyes, turning them on Krista.

"And you, how did you find your first case?"

"Kind of... Anti-climactic." Krista shrugged.

"You will find that the majority of our cases are." Sam slowly nodded his head. "However, the ones that aren't can truly make up for that."

"Hey, Sam, do you mind if I ask you something?"

"Oh my, look at the time!" Rosa glanced at her watch. "My stories are about to start." She exited the room with a wink to Krista.

"You want to know more about my strange appearance." Krista noticed that Sam and Rosa both shared the tendency to phrase their questions in the form of a statement.

"Well... Yeah. I mean, I've been living here for two weeks and I haven't learned anything about you. You know almost everything about me... So, spill it. You gotta gimme something to keep me trusting you."

Sam slowly nodded his head again and made an unintelligible sound that reminded Krista of Martu. It made her shiver.

"I am what you humans would call 'an alien.'"

Krista's jaw dropped.

"Don't be so shocked, young one. You have more control over your molecular composition than any creature I have ever met, and I have travelled much farther than you can imagine. Our friend Artemis can perceive and, with some effort, manipulate the auras of other living beings. Rosa communes with her higher self in a way that is almost an art form. Yet you question the validity of my claims?"

"So... If you're really an alien... Why are you here?"

"My people have been watching your planet very closely for generations."

"Why?"

"All in due time, my student. We cannot rush this kind of information."

Krista huffed. She wanted more but she knew Sam wouldn't keep talking if she pressed him. "Fine... We're all entitled to a few secrets."

"Now... you were going to ask about my other student."

Krista wanted to be shocked that Sam already knew what was coming, but surprise was a dwindling experience in her life as of late. "Okay, yeah, I was. Who's your other student?"