Chapter 2

For some reason, Krista never really appreciated the sound of her alarm on Tuesday mornings. Waking up on Tuesdays was never quite as exciting as it was on Mondays. But this Tuesday morning was so much worse than any before. Although she was already awake, and had been all night, she slapped the snooze button as if those extra couple of minutes would make a difference.

Her eyes were like tiny deserts, which was unfortunate because all she wanted to do was cry. She felt small. When her alarm went off again, she sat up and noticed how much bigger everything seemed to be. She tossed her legs over the side of her bed but her feet just dangled in the air above the floor. She reached out to turn off her alarm and her clock was the size of a microwave compared to her tiny hand.

As Krista caught her reflection in her vanity she screamed out loud. She didn't just feel small, she was small! Practically half the size she remembered being the day before--not to mention every day since she was fifteen years old.

"This can't be happening!" Krista slammed back down onto her mattress and pulled her sheet over her head. Her entire body vibrated as she spoke to herself. "This can't be happening. You are a regular sized person. Okay, maybe you're a little short, but you are NOT a munchkin, God dammit! You're just emotional right now. Pull yourself together!"

As Krista began to breathe deeply through her nose, she felt her body stretch and extend. When she was convinced she was calm she tossed off the sheet and looked around her room. Everything was back to its regular size again. She looked in the mirror and tried to smile.

"See," she said as she watched her eyes finally glaze over with tears. "You're fine. Just fine." A small drop broke free and she wiped it away. "You're not hurt, he didn't hurt you, you're fine."

With one last breath, Krista got up out of bed and moved to the bathroom. She turned on the shower and climbed in, but found the water to be too cold. She reached down and twisted the tap marked with a red H, and then again and again. When she felt like her skin was starting to blister and peel away she sank to her knees and cried.

She cried until all the hot water was gone, then curled up in the freezing torrent and rocked back and forth. Eventually, she turned off the shower and shivered in the damp air.

"See, you're fine. You're out of bed, you're clean...ish. One step at a time."

When her phone rang, Krista considered leaving it be. By the third ring she climbed out of the tub and shuffled slowly towards it, still dripping and naked.

"Yo, K-money, you're late." Her boss said over the phone.

"I am?"

"Not by much but... You left the door unlocked last night. Also, you didn't mop. What up? You feeling okay?"

Krista thought about the question. "I'm fine."

"You sure, man? It's not like you to fuck up. If you're chakras are clogged or somethin, I want you to stay home today. We don't need anything messing with our karma, ya know?"

"I'm fine."

"If you insist."

"Just... Gimme an hour. I'll be there."

"You promise you're gonna smile? I don't want my loyal regulars picking up this stank vibe you're givin off."

"Yeah, I'll smile." Krista hung up the phone and continued with her morning. As she left her apartment she just barely avoided bumping into a woman she'd never seen before. "Sorry."

"No problem," the woman said with a smile but Krista was already gone.

Without paying any attention to her surroundings, Krista walked to work at a pace that was much quicker than her usual. She mustered her most genuine feeling smile and burst into the cafe, instantly becoming overwhelmed with memories of Martu.