Chapter 8: The Worst Birthday in History

Hayley woke me up by shaking me until I woke.

"What time is it?" I asked sleepily.

"Nearly noon. Come on sleepy head, you have guests." She said pulling me out of bed.

"Guest?" I asked as she dragged me. She dragged me down stairs, and into her living room were Daylon, Tiy, and Taylor were all waiting for me.

"Happy birthday!" They shouted in unison.

I smiled. They got up and gave me a hug.

"It is so good to see you." Daylon said messing up my already messy hair.

"Good to see you too." I said hugging him again.

We sat there and talked. We talked for what felt like hours. Then someone knock on the door. Hayley got up and answered it.

"Mrs. Dawn, what are you doing here?" She asked as she opened the door.

"Hello Hayley, may I come in?" My mom asked kindly. Hayley let her in kindly. I don't know why, but I got up, run over and hugged her.

"Hi, mom. I missed you." I said happily.

"I missed you too." She said as I let go.

Everyone looked really confused.

"Wait, what are you doing here?" Tiy asked.

"I am here to take Kyi home." She replied. Now I was confused.

"Wait, dad said he never wanted to see my again?" I said.

"That was before I talked to him. I convinced him to go looking for you. He spent all night looking for you. He called and said he was he was checking into a hotle for the night and would continue his search in the morning." She explained.

"So how did you find me?" I asked.

"I know you better than you think." She said with a smile. I blushed.

"So, you ready to go?" My mom asked.

"May I get a ride?" Daylon asked kindly.

"Sure, we better get going." My mom said with a smile.

We said bye to the others and headed home. The worst birthday in history started when we got home.

When we got home, there was a strange brown car parked in front and a man in a trench coat stood at our door.

"Who is that?" I asked.

"I don't know, but it can't be good. Daylon get home." My mom said with worry in her voice. Daylon nodded and quickly did as she said.

My mom pulled into our driveway, and we calmly got out.

"Mornin', I'm officer William, and I have some bad news." The man in the trench coat said gravely.

My mom was silent.

"Your husband was shot lat night in his motel room. We figure he accidentally walked into the middle of a gang shoot out. I'm sincerely sorry for your loss." Officer William said like he had said it a million times before ( which he probably did). At this my mom collapsed to her knees, her head in her hands, and began to sob.

I got down next to her and put my arm around her.

"We are close to figuring out who did this. All I can tell though is that it was completely accidental." Officer William said.

"To you, my husband is just another job. Isn't he?" My mom said pulling her hands from her face and standing up.

"Of course not, Miss..." Officer William began.

"Don't you lie to me!" My mom snapped.

"Mam, I assure you..." The detective began.

"Liar!!" My mom screamed stomping her foot. The detective was sent flying across the yard. He got up completely stunned. My mom collapsed to her knees again.

"Go..." My mom growled. Officer William just stood there trying to make sense of what just happened.

"Go!!!" My mom screamed looking up and glaring at the detective. At that, Officer William bolted for his car and was gone.