A Little Heart To Heart

Menna
His gaze was so intense. Scorching. I couldn't help but look away. I bowed my head and listened to his story. A soft smile on my lips.

'Once upon a time' He began.

'There lived a young man who had everything he wanted. His mother adored him. His father would grant him any wish he had. His biggest wish however was to be acknowledged by his father. And to do that, he had to become what his father wanted. An honorable man. What better way to have the glory if honor if not the military? So the moment he was old enough, he enlisted into the army. His mother was against it. But his mind was set. As a soldier, he had to face danger everyday. But it was as though he had an invisible shield. Everywhere he went, he survived. Barely survived. Because while he was physically well. His mind went haywire. Because all his friends. All his brothers. Died before his very eyes. And as much as he tries to forget it. He couldn't. He tried everything. But it was all in vain. It was as though sadness became his company. Sleep deserted him. His dreamt only in shades of misery.' He stopped talking. I didn't realize I was crying again.

'It's supposed to make you smile' He said tiredly. I forced a smile and sneaked a peak at him from under my lashes. He smiled too. But you could still see the sadness in his eyes. I longed to soothe him. To comfort him. But I searched for words and they failed me abysmally.

'Menna' He said softly.

'Yes' I replied not looking at him still.

'Look at me' He said. But I shook my head.

'Why not?' He asked

'Tell me more' I said instead

'That's pretty much the story.' He said.
I felt disappointed. I wanted him not to stop. To mention me.

'Menna' He said again. Quietly. I summoned my last bit of courage and looked at him. He was gazing at me steadily. Almost as though he was trying to measure his words.

'What is it you want. I said I would fix this. I want you to be happy again. So tell me.'
I didn't know what to say. There was no way in hell I was going to confess my feelings to him. Not when I didn't know his feelings clearly.

'May I ask you something' I said

'Sure' He said

'Do you love Layla' This was killing two birds with one stone. I burned to know his answer. And I was steering clear of his oh so heavy question.

'What makes you ask that' He said, his brows furrowing

'She seems to. And it's pretty obvious you have a history' I said looking at my fingers again

'Menna'

'What?' I snapped
And then he started laughing. But immediately flinched. He had shook his sholders

'What!' I said again feeling annoyed but mesmerized by the sight of him. He had dimples. Oh my. Why did he have to look this good. Was I blinded by my feelings or was he really this attractive.

'You are jealous' He stated.
My whole face went it flames.

'I'm not!' I denied blushing crimson.

'You totally are' He said

'And you are as red as a tomatoe' He added.
I covered my face with my hands feeling mortified.
He must have sat up. Because next thing I knew his knees where facing mine. I heard him wince and let my hands fall to my lap. He looked like he was in so much pain. Concern took over my embarrassment. His right arm was in a sling. I could see his bandages peeking through the round of the neck of his shirt.

'Do you need anything' I asked searching his face

'I need some water' He said his face contorting with pain. I stood up and quickly went to pour him some from the glass jug on the bedside drawer. He drank a few gulps with his left hand and gave me back the cup. His face was shadowed with agony. Beads of sweat were starting to form on his forehead.

'Is there something I should be doing' I asked starting to panic.

'No' He said simply and layed back on his back.

'Perhaps you need more pain killers' I said. He hesitated for several seconds. And then nodded his head in agreement. I got him the drugs and a cup of water. He got up again. Slowly. It seemed to cost him a lot. He was starting to look pale. I felt so helpless.
He must have seen how agitated I was. Because he smiled softly and said

'Don't worry, I'll be fine' When I didn't say anything. He added
'I promise'

Firas didn't say anything for almost thirty minutes after he took the pain meds. He just layed back on his back and clovered his face with the back his good arm. Was he asleep? Have the pain killers kicked in? As I wondered, sleep started to creep it's way towards me. Quietly, I got my pajamas and went to the bathroom to change. I had never appeared before Firas without my scarf. So I wore the scarf on. He was still in the same position I left him. I got some blankets and just when I was about to lay on the sofa opposite the bed he spoke.
'Come here'
My heart began to hammer. Without saying a word, I went to the stool I had vacated earlier. He took off his arm and looked at me.

'You don't have to sleep on the couch. This bed is big enough for eight people' He said, his voice hoarse. Was he still in pain?

'I'd rather not' I said stubbornly

'Fine' He said and resumed his position. Walking determinedly, I flopped onto the huge sofa. It was comfortable but my body had become used to the unbelievably perfect bed. I couldn't believe how I used to sleep on my former bed. I tried all I could but I couldn't get comfortable. After two hours of tossing and turning. I listened carefully to Firas and decided he was fast asleep. Hissing under my breath, I tip toed to the light switch and turned them off even though it was almost daybreak. As quietly as I could, I slipped beneath the covers on the bed and let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. Just when I was drifting off, I heard him chuckling.

'Shut up' I said cringing with embarrassment. He didn't shut up, he went into a full blown fit of laughter. With his laughter surrounding me, the comfortable bed under me, despite my unimaginable abasement, I went almost instantly into a state of oblivion.