Never Give In

Chapter 6 – Never Give In
{Pogo POV}

After we’d ripped the Hunter’s apart, the rest of the band had helped me get Cara back to the bus…that was four days ago. Marilyn, Twiggy, Laney and I had brought her back to my home; Twiggy and I sighed as we finally laid her slumbering form to rest on my bed.

“Maybe there is some merit to the Elder’s ways with their mates…” Twiggy grimaced as I turned a cold glare on him.

“Would you like it of you were locked away in a room for decades at a time…only seen to procreate with?” I snapped.

“You know that’s not what-”

“I know, Manson…but that’s what it looked like.” I sighed as I sat on the edge of the bed, running my fingers lightly through Cara’s hair as she slept through her transformation.

Marilyn laughed quietly. “Sometimes I forget how young you are…Back then, we had more reason to keep them protected. Nowadays, the covens don’t feud as much and it’s safer for the weaker sex to be with us wherever we need them.”

“Weaker sex?” Laney raised an eyebrow at Marilyn and Twiggy and I smiled.

“Yeah…try telling that to Cara when she wakes up.” Twiggy gave me an impressed look. “She kicked major ass back there!”

“Yeah,” I smiled proudly. “She did…”

“She’ll make it, right?” Laney asked quietly.

“She’d better.” I looked at Marilyn, one eyebrow raised at him in curiosity. He shrugged at me. “What? She’s strong. It’s been a long time since I saw anyone willing to tell any of us no…I like that about her.”

I chuckled darkly. “Get your own, Manson.”

He laughed with me. “I plan to.”

“I still don’t get why you’d lock us away…from what I’ve seen…knowing you’re in love has only made you stronger…” Laney held up her hands defensively when we all looked at her curiously. “I’ll be the one Cara asks when she wakes up!”

“Calm down…we’re not mad, love.” Twiggy chuckled, cradling her face in his hands gently; kissing her briefly before sitting and pulling her onto his lap, explaining. “The vampires of old would lock their mates away from the world to keep them safe…but it was also a way to make sure they were strong and level headed all the time. Vampires love deeply and eternally…so, it was believed that love made the male, dominant vampires weak and so they would try to hide it away, locking the object of their love and desire away…”

“Of course,” Marilyn chuckled, folding his arms across his chest. “That wouldn’t work with female mates of this century.”

“We ask too many questions?” Laney asked, smiling.