Moments

(A\N: Couple of warnings. 25% Recap, 50% crap we didn't get to see but was mentioned to have happened, 15% stuff that  actually matters. My terrible math. This was planned to be a Halloween chapter, but I was running out of time, so the ending is rushed. Nagito's perspective.)

(Alternate names for this chapter: Unreliable Narrator, Two Sides To Every Story.)

The moment Nagito first saw you, was before the two of you even met.

He had researched all of you on the internet when he was first accepted into Hope's Peak, so he could know just who the symbols of hope he'd be spending the next three years with exactly were.

At the time, you were on equal level with everyone else he had seen so far. A symbol of hope who would go on to shape the world with your talent. The only thing he was put off by was how you weren't smiling in any of the pictures you were in. He assumed the Ultimate Toymaker would have a much more positive aura and would smile often. Oh well, that's what trash like him gets for making assumptions about an Ultimate. After he brushed his light disappointment off with a shrug, he moved on to researching the rest of his future classmates.

The moment the two of you made eye contact for the first time, was when you struck his interest.

When he saw you enter the classroom at the start of this mess, he didn't give much of a second thought. He watched you sit at one of the desks far away from everyone else, before he shifted his interests to the others as they entered as well.

However, it's when he guided Hajime along the island to properly introduce him the the others that he realized you were... special.

The look in your eyes seemed to tell Nagito that you were a... different person than you seemed to be. However, the person you truly were was hidden behind a thin veil of loneliness and repressed emotions. That bugged him. By repressing your emotions, you were repressing your hope. Considering how amazing you already were, being worthy of being an Ultimate and all, he couldn't help but feel the need to lift the veil concealing the person hidden behind those dull eyes.

So, he'd give you what you needed. A friend.

Everyone dismissed his idea of going to talk to you while you sat alone as everyone else had fun. They were either "busy" or thought you were "unapproachable." He didn't think scum such as him would have to actually attempt to befriend you, but it seemed he had no choice. So, he took a deep breath and approached you.

No matter what topic he brought up, you ignored him. For some reason, he both liked and disliked that. He got the feeling it was just your common sense telling you not to socialize with trash, but at the same time, he just wanted to be friends with you. It wouldn't kill you or anything.

The moment the killing game was announced was when Nagito started to feel... odd.

As he sat in his cottage, looking at the hand you slapped, he thought that... it felt nice to have you touch him. It was just a quick slap, but he could tell you had very soft skin. He wondered what it'd be like to hold your hand... or hug you... or ki-

He shook his head. He shouldn't be thinking such things. You wanted nothing to do with him, you were stuck in a killing game currently, and he was nothing but an insect compared to you.

His thoughts about you were gone as quick as they arrived.

As he stood in your cottage the next day, he picked up one of the many toys laying around. He stared at it's sad face before he sighed. He just wanted to ask why you thought it was unlikely you'd get emotionally attached to anyone. However, he couldn't seem to find you. Which was weird, seeing as how you seemed like the type to shut yourself away from the others. He walked out, dissappointed.