Sacred Confederation

Thanvi leapt off the bed even before sunrise. She was to be shook awake and carried to the washroom every morning but today's scenario was totally different. She was excited and her happiness was unexplainable. She ran to her Chikkappa's room and frowned seeing him still asleep.
"Wake up!! " she yelled lifting his blanket and stood with hands on her hips.
Abhinav groaned as he lazily got up looking at his restless niece.
"Thanu, it's still 5:00! Why are up already? You didn't let me sleep till 12 last night" he said and yawned.
"Get ready! Go! We have to be there in three more hours! "she continued as she pulled his hand.
"Whoa whoa! Tell me this first. Is today my marriage or yours?" he chuckled kissing her chubby cheeks and got off the bed picking his towel.
Yes, it was the big day. The day he too was impatiently waiting for.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"The flowers are in the refrigerator Amma. Hand me that safety pin" said Sharadha draping Samskruthi in a gorgeous red silk saree, for she was to be dolled up after reaching the marriage hall.
All the relatives had arrived and it was almost time to leave.Swarnalatha hurriedly locked the door as everyone got into their cars. The purohith had already arrived before time and Samskruthi left with her mother, sister and others.

The choultry was all set decorated beautifully with garlands of jasmine and rose

The choultry was all set decorated beautifully with garlands of jasmine and rose. The mantap which was bare was soon covered with the havan kundam, lamps and silver articles. Swarnalatha moved to Samskruthi's room and just then Abhinav's family arrived.
Samskruthi's uncle and aunt (Jayram's brother and sister in law) GopalKrishna and Rukmini took her parents' position in doing the needful. Everyone hugged and greeted eachother.
The rituals started off with the kashi yatra. GopalKrishna washed the groom's feet in a silver plate.
"You can give the vastra(dhothi and kurtha) to the groom." the purohith mumbled between the chanting. Swarnalatha handed the vastra, Mysore peta (a white turban which is wore by the south Indian grooms), gold bracelet and chain they had purchased for him.
Sharadha and Chaya took care of the arrangements near the mantap while Arun took Abhinav to his dress up room.

All that could be heard with the mantras chanted by the purohith in the next few hours, was laughter of children running around, conversations of people and the mangala vadya(auspicious group of instruments namely clarinet, tabla, mrudangam and sa...

All that could be heard with the mantras chanted by the purohith in the next few hours, was laughter of children running around, conversations of people and the mangala vadya(auspicious group of instruments namely clarinet, tabla, mrudangam and saxophone played on the day of a wedding or very special ceremonies.)