Chapter 10

As I sat in the infirmary- which was all the way up on the fourth floor- in just my black leggings and tee shirt, I couldn't help but think about Lucy Caroline. The blank look in her eyes as Alpha Damien shot her in the back. What if he had come on time? Before I provoked her and she physically injured me? Before he was left with no choice but to kill her?

I don't know. But honestly, I felt no pity. Did that make me a bad person?

"You sure made this young lady mad..." The nurse tsked me, cleaning the last bit of dirt from the jagged cut right on my jaw bone. I smiled at him sadly.

"She didn't really like me much."

He laughed at the understatement, and covered the wound with a bandage that had been soaked in a healing potion. Surprisingly, it didn't sting one bit.

When he was done, Casey limped into the room from where he was with the doctor. He was stripped to his boxers, where his leg was wrapped up from his mid-thigh to his knee. The nurse took the hint and left the two of us alone.

I got up from the bed and met him half way so he didn't have to walk all the way to me. Pulling me in for a hug, Casey put his face in the crook of my neck. "Thank god you are okay. I was about ready to kill her myself."

"That would have made things worse." I replied, but I already knew what he was going to say. I was his mate; he would have protected me no matter what. It must've been so difficult to restrain himself when I asked him to.

"I wouldn't have cared. As long as I could bring you home and keep you in my arms."

Looking up at him, he rubbed soothing circles on my injured cheek and sent warm shivers up to my head. Casey leaned down and kissed me on the nose, retracting a sigh from my lips.

"I care too much for you to let you go."

...

Friday rolled by very quickly, and before I knew it, I was sitting with Shanie in Potions. Jenkins was lulling over the recipe for Crawling Wine, while Shanie and I were giggling over our log that was pasted on the wall of our Greenbreath potion.

"Maybe we should actually try this time," I giggled to Shanie, giving her an amused look. She just burst into laughter. "Or not," I laughed.

"Crawling Wine can be very dangerous, kiddies. If it gets away from you, it can slither into someone's drink, causing long lasting effects. So be sure to contain your Crawler. This recipe should make the crawler into a disgusting but effective cure for any drinking sickness, but only if you are actually sick. So be careful." Jenkins looked pointedly at Shanie, who just turned to me and waggled her eyebrows. I couldn't hold in my giggle.

"Using the tricks and tips I taught you in the past few days, turn your little creepy crawler into a fabulous companion! Oh, chop chop!"

I picked up the critter we had gingerly, looking at the spider through the small glass box. "I really hate spiders."

"And I hate potions, but I guess we both have to suck it up," Shanie whined, turning on the burner and hanging a cauldron above it with boiling water inside. "Honestly, I'm never eating one of these things. No matter how damn sick I am. Not even in wolf form."

I sighed. "What ingredients do we need?"

Shanie pulled our textbook closer to her, reading aloud the instructions. "6 cups of boiling water... blah blah blah, add two teaspoons of stuff and put in the thing, then mix it and let it stand. Add a pinch of crushed... whatever-that-says, and then wolfs..." She trailed off, wrinkling her eyebrows in confusion. Shanie turned to look at me, "Casey told me that someone put Wolfsbane in your cousin's drink before we went to the South."