Perhaps I Don't Understand...

My wolf lunged immediately, but Tanner easily dodged, a satisfied smile plastered on his smug face. I should have known that he was leading me on as I ran around, trying to get my teeth into him. I was wearing myself out quickly, but my wolf just wouldn't listen to reason. It hated being challenged and made a fool of, and Tanner had done both, so it couldn't think of any other response besides pinning him. Yeah, that definitely isn't going to happen if he keeps going nuts.

"May want to be quiet... Dogs aren't allowed in here," Tanner noted with a light chuckle.

Oh shit!

My wolf put on the brakes, but seeing as it was on the bed, it slid right off, taking a pile of blankets with it. Dammit! This is humiliating. I thought as I was getting up. I caught Tanner moving in my peripheral vision and quickly whirled my head around to snarl at him, but he just raised a brow and held a finger to his lips, making a quiet "shh" sound.

"Don't want to get in trouble, neh? If they come in here while you're all worked up, you might not be able to change back fast enough."

He had a point, but that also meant that I was stuck in my wolf form now until I could calm myself down... and the fact that he was sauntering toward me with an air of dominance wasn't going to help any. I fought with myself to keep from stepping back and giving way to his dominance, because I was the alpha here. Even if I was stuck for the moment, it didn't make me any less of the leader that I was.

"Excuse me? Tanner? Is everything okay? Someone said they heard running and some banging noises in there..."

Tanner was just kneeling in front of me when we heard the voice on the other side of the door. My heart stuttered as I froze, hoping that Tanner wouldn't let the other in. Before he bothered to answer, he reached out, twining his fingers into my thick fur and forcing my hackles to rise. I bared my teeth at him as well, but he seemed to completely ignore the warnings.

"Yeah, everything's fine. Just felt a bit hyper," he yelled back, pretending to be out of breath by gasping half of the words.

"Um...okay. Call me if you need anything. We'll be leaving for Blounstown tomorrow morning so be sure to get some rest," the voice replied, sounding obviously confused but also understanding.

"Alright. Night, Derrick," Tanner replied. The second we heard footsteps moving away, he turned his full attention back to me and smiled.

"Sleep with me tonight."

My wolf snarled as it lunged forward, snapping at Tanner's face. He easily hopped back to avoid the attack, landing right as a knock came at the door.

"Room service... Is everything okay? Can I come in to do some cleaning?"

What was with all the people?

"Come in."

Wait. What?

I quickly darted to the open bathroom door and jumped into the tub, then yanked the curtain shut with my teeth as I heard the cleaning lady wheel her cart inside.

Get her out of here. Are you nuts? I shouted at Tanner mentally.

No. She needs to clean. It's rude not to allow her to do her job.

Rude? I roared.

Ow...no need to shout, he thought back, almost sounding like he was pouting. I heard someone walk inside the bathroom and froze until a hand slid between the curtain and turned on the cold water and overhead nozzle.