Chapter 9

The next day Draco woke from his dreams hazily. He'd stayed up really late with Luna working on the new clients case as well as some extra regular duties that needed to be upheld. He'd definitely been spending too much time with the blonde little witch, she was now invading his dreams. It was only when Draco rubbed the sleep from his eyes that he became fully sure that the blonde witch wasn't actually down stairs clattering pans and making huckleberry jam as she had been in his dream state. He shook his head at the foolish notion and then palmed his face at the annoyance of himself breaking his silent pact to stop thinking about her. Sometimes when he did he felt himself cringe up all inside like a screwed up piece of paper in a palm with the awkwardness and embarrassment of it all, even if he was the only one aware of it. 

He dreaded to think of what Luna might think if she could see the thoughts he had about her in his head. She'd probably be really nice about it Draco thought, a sour expression on his face at the idea. That made him inner-cringe even more. How pathetic he was to be so obsessed with a girl who only spent time with him because he was paying her. It was really ridiculous. What did he think would happen? that one day it would just so naturally evolve into a relationship other than boss/employee? things like that didn't happen. And he was sure even if it would that everyone would go on about his errant behaviour being inexcusable. His father bloody well might fire him for losing another secretary, and would possibly disown him if Draco ever thought to marry the whimsical dream that was Luna. How his thoughts had somehow gotten to marriage between himself and Luna so easily (again) was insane, Draco spoke to himself gruffly snapping out of his minds ponderings. "No no no no!" Draco said out loud to stop the thoughts in their track that he could feel gushing forward about Luna. Luna's hair, Luna's smile, Luna's laugh, the sparkle in Luna's eye. It was bloody sickening. He was no servile fawning lover. He was her boss for Merlin's sake!

Luna too had woken that day with dreams of Draco. They faded within a minute although she tried to grasp at them for something to write down in her notes for her book. She'd hardly had any time to write it recently, and although her publishers had grown to be quite lenient with her on timelines and getting chapters in at certain times (due to necessity), she did always like to get in the book for the ultimate due date, not liking to put the publication and all those connected to it's publication off kilter... However, it seemed whenever she went to put ink to paper something in her squirmed and as a reflex she always put her quill down. She wondered if it was because she'd become too entrenched in the story... or rather a character within the story... more specifically one Draco Malfoy. Could it be that she had got too close to him? was that possible? She felt like she couldn't really write him anymore. Everything she wrote seemed unreal, like it didn't do him justice, like it wasn't fully genuinely him, just a broken sad copy of some of his 'isms' or habits. She wished then that she could know him in another context. That perhaps she could be his friend or, well just be closer to him in a different relationship than boss/employee. She'd written about friends myriads of times, or versions of them, or things about them at the very least. Perhaps if she could just see Draco in another light her stilt of creativity bubble would burst... And it was with this thinking that she decided to wrap a colourful scarf around her neck and scoop up some of the marmalade she'd made a few days back in the middle of the night instead of writing her book like she was supposed to be doing, and made her way to her bosses house. 

Three rattatatats on the door and Draco appeared before her. He looked in much better shape than the last time she'd seen him in this exact position. He wore a grey top and joggers. Luna wondered if she had expected that he even owned such attire, her being so used to seeing him in a well fitted suit. "Hello Draco" Luna said beaming up at him much like the last time she had been to visit him. Draco looked truly baffled. Was this dejavu?, black magic?, was he still asleep? he wondered. But no he'd been up for hours now just reading. He hadn't really got out of bed. He'd decided to read because he needed a distraction and his work just kept reminding him of the blonde ex-ravenclaw and his current secretary.