Chapter 4

Luna sat at her desk and put her arms as wide as she could out upon it, utterly in pleasure at having her very own desk to work at in this new job of hers. It was almost like play acting, the way you do in theatre class as a child. She was playing the assistant.

She placed her keep cup on the already set out coaster. The desk was a bit boring though. She would have to brighten it up a bit if she was to be working here almost every day for a while. She looked in the top drawer and plenty of scroll sheets lay there. How lovely, she could write a few friends some letters if she had some free time. She pulled a few sheets out and lay them neatly in front of her and grabbing a brown feather quill, that also lay on the desk, she began to write.

"Dear Mr Malfoy,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for this job. I endeavour to do my very best in every way I can and am sure Draco and I will get along splendidly.

Warm Regards,

Luna Lovegood"

She rushed the letter a little bit because she wanted to use the mailing system that was in place as soon as possible as it looked such fun. She made her way over to the tubes and spelled the letter to go to Lucius's offices and then sent it down the tube with a flick of her wand. The letter bent as it got sucked down the cylinder so quickly. It went Merlin knows where under Draco's office and away to its intended recipient.

Luna looked over the top of the clear tube to see if she could see anything but it was too dark wherever it went. She stood there looking over it still while thinking what she could do next. Draco had rather grumpily grunted at her and closed the door loudly behind him going into his office mumbling something about what a ridiculous idea to have mumblemumble, mumblemumble.

Luckily her gaze was averted away from her letters past tracks when Draco coughed behind her. She turned and saw he was standing now in front of his door. He must have had some time to calm down she thought mildly and smiled at him. Draco found that her always smiling at him was unnerving and it made him feel like averting his gaze, but he wouldn't out of principle, he was the boss here after all. He should be the imposing one. So instead of averting her gaze he adamantly held out a piece of paper at her.

"You need to send this to Marketing, Make sure to put the cover letter on top and fill it out" he said not moving towards her to hand it to her. Luna made her way to him nodding and grabbing the paper from his hand and turning it towards herself in interest.

"You don't have to read it" Draco said annoyed as he watched her big blue eyes skim over the pages contents. "Ok...sir" Luna said looking up at him. She added the sir to try and put him in a better mood. Draco looked at her and grunted, which seemed like some sort of approval in Luna's books. "I'll get right on that" she said smiling and walking towards her desk with the letter in hand.

Draco watched her make her way there and sit down. She looked up at him as he hadn't moved. "I didn't dismiss you yet, did I?" Draco said haughtily once he had her attention. Luna looked at him amused. "No sir... am I excused?" she said not quite able to take the mirth out of her tone.

He obviously could tell she was amused because he raised his brow. The little smile that graced Lunas lips didn't surpass his notice either, it was a sort of cheeky smile, it almost made him see the funny side to it, but he tried his best not to let on. "No you're not. I also want you to check the balances, I doubt your predecessor was doing it correctly. Also pour me a scotch and bring it into my office" he said thinking he would be in need of it with her working here.
"Sure thing sir" Luna said cheerily. Draco gave her another raise of his eyebrow but left her to do what she was asked.

Once he got into his office Draco stood by the door for a while not moving. He wasn't sure what to make of all this. He felt strange her being in the room just next to him. He could evidently see that he was amusing to her. Everything she did seemed to be with a touch of whimsy. He wasn't used to this. He was used to being intimidating to people. Especially to employees. He could tell that she wasn't going to be like the others, and he wasn't sure how to handle that. He himself even felt different. A smile had almost fallen upon his lips while talking to her. How was he going to keep his decorum if he was already like this on the first day of her working there? He didn't know.