Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

More than ever I wished I had a phone. If not a phone, at least some way to contact Jayden. He’d run away after telling me something which I didn’t quite understand. The word coward rang through my mind. He’d said it—he might as well have explained it too. Therefore, I was alone, completely confused.

            “Dammit,” I muttered under my breath.

            What else annoyed me what that I was certain that Ever and Kate knew. However, I didn’t want to invade Jayden’s privacy, so I wasn’t going to ask them. The temptation was so strong though. I desperately wanted to know about why his mother was the reason I was still alive. Why could she possibly be the reason? Irrational theories ran through my mind—maybe she was the boy with the blue eyes. Obviously not, the rational part of my mind said, since she’s his mother.

            I honestly had no idea of what he was talking about. Death haunting me was the only thing I had an idea of and I didn’t know if it was related or not. I had thought about running after him. But if it was so drastic that it had caused him to run off, I didn’t know if I wanted to do that. I thumped my hands against my head. Why did it have to be my life that was this hard?

            “Hi, Ana,” a voice spoke, feminine so I knew it wasn’t Jayden.

            Twiddling her thumbs, blinking often, Kate stared down at me. I sighed heavily. As much as I liked Kate, and enjoyed her company, she really wasn’t the person that I wanted to see.

            Tiredly, I sighed. “Hi, Kate.”

            Gulping slightly, she continued to twirl her thumbs around. Over her shoulder, she looked before turning back around to face me. “Jayden sent me to come and tell you that he’s sorry he ran off. Plus, so that you would get home safe.”

            “Safe? What am I supposed to do on the way home?”

            Kate shrugged. “How am I supposed to know? Jayden sent me here, I didn’t send myself. I don’t know what he thinks is going to happen. I have a feeling ithas something to do with Death though. He can access you through yourself, you know that, right?”

            “I gathered so,” I responded. “Death is powerful—he can do whatever he wants.”

            “Except get you,” Kate added.

            I didn’t know whether Kate would answer the question I was about to ask. Her trust and connection with Jayden seemed very important to her. If she valued his trust, she wouldn’t tell me. However, if she valued my knowledge more, she would spill.

            “What did Jayden mean by the fact that his mother is the reason I’m still alive?” I questioned. “I don’t really see how she could possibly be the reason that I’m still alive. I... um, thought that the boy with the blue eyes was. You know, the boy who always saves me.”

                Heftily, Kate sighed as though even this small was painful to intake. Her gaze wavered for a few moments and I hoped, prayed, that she would tell me everything. However, my hopes had been too far fetched and Kate just glanced away, staring at her feet. No-one told me anything. I was used to everybody keeping secrets from me as, of course, I kept secrets from everyone. Except Kate, Ever and Jayden. Maybe that was why it hurt so much that they were keeping secrets from me.

            “Tell me, Kate, please,” I begged. “You never tell me anything. I deserve to know this. At least, I think I do, unless you honestly dislike me.”