Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

I’m thirteen years old.

            Hair red and radiant, Amelle Summers turns to face me. A grin is on her face as she tightens her coat. Then, she waggles her plucked to oblivion eyebrows. “Ana,” she says loudly. “Your crush is over there.”

            “Shh!” I hiss as Ben Ellis turns to face us. “Uh, Amelle was joking.”

            He gives me a look as if to say ‘yeah, right’ and Amelle practically melts into a puddle beside me. Ben Ellis is one of the it boys. At fifteen years old, he’s two years older than us. But Amelle constantly reminds me of ‘the two year rule’ and how we can date him, or any of his friends. Still, they never pay any attention to us. If they do, it’s bad attention, saying how our year are so annoying, forgetting how they were ever in it.

            “He looked at you,” Amelle says calmly before screeching. “Oh, Ana, he looked right at you.”

            Embarrassed, I hide my face. Temptation grabs hold of me and I glance up, seeing Ben Ellis looking at me. This time, he looks mortified. I guess that the popular boy isn’t going to fall in love with me. I’m just a nobody—the poor girl who lives in a two bed roomed flat in which she has to sleep in the lounge. And he’s the rich boy who practically owns a mansion.

            I sigh as I hide my face in my arms again. When I look up this time, Ben Ellis is standing there. “Are you Anastasia Elwood?”

            Before I can answer, Amelle chips in, eyes wide. “Yes, yes, yes, she is.”

            Ben Ellis smirks, green eyes mysterious. Green eyes, not at all like his blue eyes... I shake that thought off. I don’t want to think of him, not when Ben Ellis is standing right in front of me, saying my name. The way he says my name, too, like I’m golden.

            Ben Ellis can’t say anything because the redhead next to me is too quick. “Are you going to ask my best-friend out? Please, please, please say you are. She practically adores you. She took a picture of you at the fundraiser last month. It’s hanging on her wall.”

            I want to punch my so called ‘best-friend’. We’re not really best-friends though, Amelle just thinks we are. Amelle is like that, she can’t be friends, she has to be best-friends

            “Uh, no.” His friends laugh and he laughs to. My face flushes—what did he come over here for? Suddenly, when he leans in close to me, I know. “We’re here to tell you a little about Anastasia Grace Elwood.”

            How could he know my middle name? Unless he read my file... “How do you know my middle name?”

            “I know a lot of things about you, Anastasia,” he chuckles. “Like what happened on the 16th of February last year. Something to do with a car it read...”      

            My knuckles clench together. He knows. Ben Ellis knows my secret and by the look on his face, Ben Ellis is going to share my secret with the rest of the world. To think I dreamt about him, imagined this moment, him walking up to me, even talking to me.

            “Please,” I beg softly.

            “Aw, little Anastasia is pleading,” he grins widely. Except, this time, his grin doesn’t make me want to dance in the rain. Instead, it makes me want to hit him. “Come on, Anastasia, beg.”