Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

The third time I almost died that day was by my mother’s hands. She stood with her hands wrapped around my throat, squeezing roughly. It was only when Hollie walked in that she let go of me, dropping me to the floor. Hollie and I sat in an awkward silence in the living room. As my mother was so livid, she hadn’t even told Hollie to get away from the freak she had for a sister.

            “Hi,” Hollie mumbled, brushing a lock of strawberry blonde hair from her eyes, staring at me expectantly.

            As I was so out of breath from the strangling, I didn’t answer her. I gasped, clutching my throat. Hollie gulped loudly before taking a step closer to me. In normal circumstances, I would have jumped away, but I didn’t.

            “You have such pretty hair,” she commented. “It’s lovely, honey coloured and curly. Mine is... never mind. Would you like some water?”

            At Hollie, I nodded. Surprisingly, she was quick. When she came back with the water, she gave me an expectant look. However, I didn’t know what she was expecting, so I just thanked her.

            After a few moments in silence, Hollie clutching her knees and rocking, she started to speak.

            “Mum’s having a baby,” Hollie said suddenly.

            My head whipped up faster than a bullet. “What?”

            Hollie looked away, down to the carpet. “Well, mum’s having another baby. She told me last night. I didn’t let on that I knew she was having it to replace me. Instead, I acted happy for her.”

            Pride swelled in my throat. What Hollie had done was something that I would have had to do when she was born. But, at four, I didn’t know that they were doing it to replace me. Hollie had it much harder than I’d had it. In a natural instinct, I wanted to hug her. But I fought against it. Just because I admired her strength, it didn’t mean I had to like her.

            “I ‘m sure she isn’t trying to replace you,” I blatantly lied to try and comfort her.

            “Nice try.” She smiled at me weakly, legs still wrapped in her arms. “I...”

            She trailed off as the door was flung open. It was my father. Letting out a deep breath, I turned to face him. He wouldn’t rat us out... at least I hoped he wouldn’t. I was sure that he wouldn’t hit me, though.

            “Uh, you should...”

            We knew what he meant. All of us knew that if my mother came down, I was going to get hit and Hollie scolded. Quickly, I tried to usher Hollie away but my mother came down in that exact moment. We looked at each other for a few moment before she gripped my arm.

            “Are you trying to poison and brainwash Hollie?” she accused. I gave Hollie a warning look, trying to tell her not to say anything in my defence. “Well, are you, Any?”

            I took in a deep breath. “Stop calling me that.”

            I didn’t shout, but my mother looked at me like I’d slapped her. For once, I’d questioned her authority. Her face was one of shock. Silently, my father and Hollie still stood behind her. Hollie’s eyes were wild, searching. My best guess was that she was worried at what my mother would do. This had probably got my mother so mad that she would hit everyone and everything in the room.