To tame the Duke's heart - Chapter 3

I'm so sorry that I haven't updated this in a long while. I've been superbusy with my collegestuff and I didn't have the motivation to write in a long long time. Thanks to your comments I finally found some of it and now it's out, chapter 3. I'm sorry if it's not as good as the other ones but please have in mind that I haven't written in English for quite some time.. Thanks once again for the comments and the votes! I wouldn't do this without you!! <3

--------------------------

Chapter 3

“My lord, welcome back to London.

I presume of your early arrival that things were sorted out in the Cavendish mansion to your satisfaction?”

Marcus had just arrived and now served himself a glass of whiskey in his study.

Marcus butler - who had been serving his family for generations and Marcus since he was just a toddler - had brought a plate with food to him.

Even though they talked informally to each other, Howard thought that it was of great importance that he addressed Marcus with his rightful title.

“Yes, thank you Howard. But I’m in need of a bath and a change of clothes.”

 “I will see to it, my lord.”

“Howard…”

“Yes, my lord?”

“Has anything happened here since I left? I thought I saw new maids in the parlor.”

Howard bowed his head.

“Yes, my lord. You’re correct. It seems that a certain Miss Lynnham tried to pursue some of the maids to act as her…hmm… eyes and ears in your household, my lord.

I took the freedom of replacing them to your other estates.

The two girls confessed directly after she had asked them and even if I don’t doubt their loyalty to you, I had to set an example.

Even if nothing had been reported I didn’t want to take any risks when it comes to the lordship, so they’re replaced into the Mayfair house, in the loving care of your sister.”

“Oh… once again you’ve proved your efficiency, Howard!

I’m very pleased. Please tell me if there’s anything you’re in need of and I’ll provide you. Anything.”

“Thank you, my lord.”

The old butler smiled slightly and walked away.

When his lordship was pleased, Howard was pleased too.

And there was nothing that he wouldn’t do if that didn’t make his master happy.

Including… lying to a certain Miss Lynnham.

One month had passed since his arrival and he was already tired of staying in London.

Going to the theatre last night had been nothing but anguish from his side as his fiancée had

been clinging to his side for the whole evening, making it hard for him to enjoy the play as usual.

“My lord, you’ve received a… hmm… guest.”

Marcus looked up from some documents he was signing.

“They certainly haven’t made an appointment. Tell them that by all means, I can’t be disturbed.”

He needed some time alone to recover from last night.

“I said that too, my lord, but his Grace didn’t listen.”

Marcus narrowed eyes looked searchingly in Howards stone face.

“Then this ‘guest'.... it's my father? I should’ve known he was-”

“Marcus, is this the way of treating a guest?” A cold voice interrupted.

Marcus gaze fled to the doorway.

He swore silently.

“Father, for what occasion you have bestowed me the honour of your presence?”

“Don’t you dare mock me, son.

There’s a rumour circulating that you’re to be engaged with a… miss Gryningham and I felt the need to confront you.”

“Miss Lynnham, sir.”

“I want to meet this woman as soon as possible. You need to marry, Marcus.”

“I’m already aware of that. You’ve been telling me since I came back from Eton as an adolescent and the answers the same since then, father. I won’t marry just someone you’ve picked for me.

“No, and you shall not. A marquis daughter would be the least I expect of you. It’s time that you think of your position and stop all this nonsense about love-matches in marriages...”

His father had surely lost his senses!

The daughter of a marquis?

When and how would he find one of those and then fall in love with her…

He shook his head in disgust while interrupting his father.

“The poor creature of whom I’ll make my bride will be my choice and my choice only, father.”

“I suggest you decide quickly, son. You’re running out of time.”

“What do you suggest I do, father? Remarry the most fertile one, like you did after mother passed away?”

His fathers’ face paled.

“Enough, Marcus! Your mother was my great love but she was taken away from me. Georgiana is your new mother now and I won’t let you disrespect her! I do not believe in this nonsense of yours. Marry and produce an heir or your cousin will gain your title by your 30th birthday!”

His father had furiously put his hand down with a loud bang and Marcus eyes narrowed.

“That’s two years from now, father. Surely you’ve gone insane.”

“Hopefully this Lady Lynnham will make a proper man out of you, though I doubt it. I will meet her soon! I’ll call on both of you, until then I bid goodbye.”

Marcus stared at the back of his descending father and whispered:

“I doubt that too.”

Sinking back in his chair, he tried to suppress the hollowness when the memory of a sunlit day and a pair of greenish eyes passed by.

Indeed, she was always with him.

In the morning he would wake before sunrise and remember her...

He had thought it was a passing fancy but after weeks of abstinence after Aurora, he had to give in the suspicion that it was more an infatuation.

He wished to see her.

Ironically, when he had finally fallen in love it had been in a woman that he wasn’t allowed to love. But the annual season of the ton would start in two days so he couldn't leave town even if he wished for it.

And soon... very soon if she were to decide, he would be married to Miss Lynnham.

Sighing, he realised that he had to forget those wonderful days.

For the sake of his mind and his family, he had to let go of the first woman that had ever captured his heart...

Pushing back the feeling of hollowness that grew inside of him, he went back to the paperwork.

Not knowing that in exactly that moment a beautiful, golden carriage rolled into London...

To be continued...