To tame the Duke's heart - Chapter 4

Thanks to everyone reading, following and commenting on the story.

Remember, English isn't my native language... well, enjoy. :-)

___________________________________

He sighed silently for the second time this evening.

He had just escorted lady Lynnham to a play at the theatre, but it seemed as a bad idea considering that his father and Georgiana surely would attend to this event also.

"Marcus, darling. Isn't this wonderful? Haft the ton are here tonight. It's like they've come to see us..." Cassandras thrilled voice echoed from beside him in the private box the Cavendish family owned. "I'm positively sure that's not the case." A cold voice from behind them injected.

This evening would be a living hell for sure.

Without flicking an eyed, Marcus made presentations. "Lady Lynnham, please meet sir John Reynolds, duke of Cavendish and his wife, Georgiana, duchess of Cavendish. Your grace, this is Cassandra Lynnham, daughter to the earl of Coventry... also my fiancée." The last part he added sardonically to make his father angry as the engagement hadn't been accepted fully before the duke had had a say about it.

"At last we meet, miss Lynnham.." his father began. "Enchanté!" Georgiana interrupted her husband with a wink and while Cassandra made courtesy Georgiana sat down next to her. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Marcus has been most secretive about you. Didn't your sister debute this summer? I thought I remembered..." Marcus tuned out the chitchattering of the women beside him and turned to his father.

"I wasn't aware that you would attend. As I remind myself, theatre wasn't your suit. It was mothers' and you simply accompanied her." His father sent him a quick glance and responded, in a quiet voice as not to disturb the ladies chat. "Remember what I said last time, son." He warned with icy tone, "I couldn't refuse Georgiana this time. The aunt of the duke of Devonshire asked Georgiana to help her ward during her first season, the young daughter of the duke and I came to pay my respects to them. It's of great importance to maintain a good companionship with him, considering that their lands are close to our. And it's not wrong to socialize every now and then." The last part he said ironically.

Marcus lifted an eyebrow. His father never attended any social gathering if it wasn't of great importance. "I find it hard to believe that you came because of some girl, truly you don't think I'm a idiot?" His father got red cheeks, an sign that he wasn't in a good mood.  "The duke himself retired after serving in the war against the French.." Georgiana, who had listened to our conversation interfered after a time of silence. "I simply thought that it would be of great importance to help her in any way necessary, and your dear sister even agreed to help..."

He stared at her for a second before turning his eyes towards the crowd. His lowered his voice so that lady Lynnham wouldn't hear, "By any means, do help the poor child. But if you and father are looking for a suitable wife for me - I've said I'm not interested." He now looked directly into his fathers calculating eyes and turned his back on him, while trying to look indulged in the play that took place downstairs.

Marcus wasn't interested in debutants or his sisters endeavours, she were widely known through the ton as being a very successful matchmaker. Mothers sent their daughters to  Georgiana or his sister Elisabeth so that they would help them become the finest lady possible of the season and become the favorite amongst the debutants.

Music interrupted his thoughts as the play entered a new act and they went silent.

While looking down at the chattering crowd that hushed each other, he suddenly caught a glimpse of a golden hair passing by his vision, and during a second his heart almost stopped in its beat. No, it couldn't be?

He rose to his feet and, overlooking the crowd, searched for a familiar face but couldn't see anyone even close to that beauty. A wave of sadness swept through him as he remembered a pair of greenish eyes with pecks of gold. Had he gone mad? "Marcus? What on earth are you doing?" Cassandras voice brought him back to the seat. His voice heavy with disappointment. "Nothing... I though I saw someone familiar..." Ignoring the curious stare from his father and Georgiana, he sank back into the seat in their private box. He knew he was acting strange, but for a mere second he had hoped with  all his heart that it were her. And at the same time, not. If he had encountered her again - had she forgiven him? Forgot about him?
Georgianas voice was thin behind him. "Someone familiar..? Won't you go and greet them, Marcus? Your friends are welcome to share our box this evening..."

He lowered his head in recognition of her attempt to make him more comfortable in her presence. "My mistake, lady Georgiana. I'll certainly introduce them another time."

He was able to say before Lady Lynnham hushed him and they resumed to watch the play.

His thoughts elsewhere on someone he couldn't forget, little did he know that a pair of greenish eyes, who watched the soprano as he performed the death of Juliet, with tears rolling down her cheeks.

To be continued...