To tame the Duke's heart - Chapter 2

Chapter Two

“Please, can’t we travel back to London soon? Being here at this... rural place when you’re out visiting your arrendators everyday makes me sulk, darling… it’s also been days since the last guests left and I feel very lonely with only your staff around me. Also when you’re not out visiting, you go for rides or doing other duties… It’s no fun at all, Marcus.”

Cassandra whined already.

Lord Cavendish looked up over a letter he wrote and irritatingly raised an eyebrow at her.

“If you’re that bored, my lady, why don’t you travel to London ahead of me with your chaperone and I’ll visit you the moment I arrive there? Yes?”

Cassandra pouted. This clearly wasn’t the reaction she had wanted.

“But it’s no fun in London without you, my lovely Marcus. And I’m your fiancée; I should stay by your side…”

“But I’ll stay here for a week or two before travelling, my lady. What could possibly entertain you for two more weeks here at this... rural place, as you so kindly described it?”

Cassandra fled.

“Milord, you’re quite early today.”

The voice behind him made his heartbeat faster.

“Miss Aurora, I was just thinking of you.”

She cheeks turned slightly pink.

He could see the effect his teasing words had on her and for once in his life something made him feel satisfied. But it had been the truth. He had thought of her, in fact he thought of her all day long.

“You’re teasing me, sir. It’s not very gentlemanly of you.”

He watched her as she took out small bits of apple from her pocket and bribed his horse.

Brutus was as enchanted with her as his owner, looking content when she stroke his head.

Damn lucky horse.

“And you make me jealous of my horse, Miss Tanner.”

We’re both eating out of the palm of your hand, he wanted to add but didn’t.

Only if it had been teasing, life would’ve been so much simpler.

Aurora, she already felt like a sunrise in his life.

Then his heart felt like it would break of the agony he felt.

Good lord, why hadn’t he met Aurora before he met Cassandra?

He sighed.

Even if it had been the case, in the eyes of society, she wasn’t in his league.

Even if she hadn't spoken with him about family matters, lost in conversation as the usually was, he was now sure by the way that she dressed - that she wasn't of peerage. Meaning, there was no way for him to persude marriage with her.

There was no way that society would accept them…

“You’re a brute, lord Cavendish. A brutish gentleman.”

Her soft voice made his heart beat fast against his ribs.

She tried to adapt a strict expression but failed and laughed a little.

He hesitated but then said lowly; “Surely you’ve realised that I’m a poorly excuse for how a gentleman should behave and do not possess those traits which a good gentlemen entertains… And I'll certainly not be different when I’m in my own house.” He smiled at her, but the smile didn’t reach his eyes.