Chapter Five: Vampire Chick

The encounter between Bella and Jacob felt like more than mere chance; it was as if some unseen hand guided me to witness their interaction

     The encounter between Bella and Jacob felt like more than mere chance; it was as if some unseen hand guided me to witness their interaction. Jacob's words about the Cullens being bloodsuckers lingered in my mind, but I refrained from confronting Bella about it immediately. I sensed that the revelation of their true nature as vampires would come in due time, and I resolved to wait patiently until Bella was ready to confide in me.

The days had passed since I confided in Bella about my witchcraft, and she seemed to handle it well. Bella spoke of her visit to Jacob and their conversation in the rain, but I sensed there were details she omitted. There was also another talk they had when he came to her house, again keeping some details to herself.

Though I chose to keep silent about what I observed between them, when in the rain. Her retelling it, and mentioning Sam, stirred a twinge of anger within me; Jacob had previously expressed fear of Sam and wished to avoid him. Nonetheless, I agreed to accompany Bella to see him, hoping it might bring him around, and tell us what was happening.

As we stood before Jacob's front door, Bella reached out to knock on the glass window, causing Jacob's father, confined to a wheelchair, to wheel himself over and open the door. His weathered face bore a mix of curiosity and weariness as he greeted us.

"Bella? Charlotte?" Billy Black's expression shifted to one of confusion as he registered our presence, his brow furrowing in puzzlement.

"We need to see him," Bella asserted firmly.

"He's not in," Billy replied, but his words lacked conviction, signalling to us that he was likely hiding something.

"Okay, I'm sorry, but we really need to see him," Bella insisted firmly, determination etched in her voice. She stepped into the house, and I trailed behind her, our footsteps echoing through the hallway. Ignoring Billy's calls, we made our way swiftly to Jake's room, passing by the kitchen on the way. With a determined grip, Bella pulled open Jacob's door, revealing him asleep on his bed, an arm lazily hanging over the side.

Bella and I exchanged a glance of relief, but it was short-lived. Bella's gaze shifted to something outside Jake's window, and I followed her line of sight, spotting Sam and his group emerging from the woods and heading toward the house. Without hesitation, Bella stormed out of the house, making me hurry after her, marching purposefully to the backyard, determined to confront Sam.

"What did you do?" Bella's voice was raised, her anger palpable as she confronted Sam and his group. They halted just inches away. "What did you do?!" She repeated, striding up to Sam and pushing on his chest, causing him to stagger back slightly.

"Watch yourself," Paul one of the boys, stepping forward as if Bella's presence was a threat.

"Easy," Sam growled, his eyes fixed on Paul. However, their focus shifted from Bella to me. My expression remained blank, betraying my confusion as I tried to comprehend what was unfolding before me.