Chapter Two: Bikes, Bars and Friends.

I kept the events of that night to myself, choosing not to confide in my Grandma about the mysterious occurrence

I kept the events of that night to myself, choosing not to confide in my Grandma about the mysterious occurrence. The memory lingered, haunting me as I pondered how I had ended up in the depths of the woods near Bella's house. The details eluded me, leaving me perplexed as I struggled to piece together the sequence of events leading to my unexpected location.

Months slipped by, and school became a bright spot in my life. Bella and the others welcomed me into their circle, their humour and acceptance warming my heart. Yet, despite the growing closeness, I remained guarded, wary of letting anyone too close. Mastering my school assignments felt like second nature, and I swiftly caught up on the material I had missed due to the relocation.

I noticed Bella's distant expression, a veil of sadness clouding her features. She confided in me about her recent breakup with a guy named Edward, his departure leaving her feeling abandoned. Her words struck a chord within me, reminding me of the lingering pain from the loss of my parents, a pain I had yet to share with my newfound friends. With my seventeenth birthday come and gone, I hosted a small party, inviting friends to celebrate with me. However, Bella's absence weighed heavily on my heart, leaving me feeling disappointed yet understanding of her need for space.

After spending months in solitude, Bella finally reached out to me, inviting me to join her for a shopping trip followed by a movie. I was thrilled by her invitation and eagerly accepted. As we watched the zombie film together, I couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement coursing through me. The movie was truly thrilling, and sharing the experience with Bella made it even more enjoyable.

"I don't get why are there so many zombie movies," Bella remarked.

"It's probably a metaphor, you know? Maybe for crass consumerism or something," I replied quickly as we walked away from the movie theatre. Bella glanced at me, considering my words.

"Not that you'd know anything about consuming. You didn't buy anything today," I remarked, arching an eyebrow at Bella. Unlike her, I had purchased a simple silver pentagram necklace that caught my eye.

"I bought something," Bella shrugged, a sly smile playing on her lips.

"Socks don't really count... I've been worried about you lately, Bella," I confessed, gazing into her deep chocolate-brown eyes.

"I've been kind of... out of it," she admitted.

"Kind of? Bella, you've been cooped up in your room for months. I was starting to get really concerned, but I understand you needed time—" Before I could finish, some bikers shouted at us, offering us a ride on their bikes. We glanced down the street, where several bikes were parked outside a bar, their riders eyeing us like prey. Bella seemed to be in a daze as she stared at them, so I stepped in front of her to get her attention.

"Come on," I urged, but she kept glancing back at the bikers.

"I know them... I think," she murmured, her gaze fixed on the group of bikers.